Raised Platform in Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1st floor bedroom of dimensions 7m x 3m in which I would like to raise the floor at one end by approx 5" of an area 3mx3m (Therefore One end of room will be raised. This raised area would then be used for a Bath and a couple of built in wardbrobes.

The current floor has joists run parallel to the 3m wall and attach to load bearing walls (One being an outside wall) Currently on the joists are standard floorboards which I will remove in the area of the platform.

The questions I have are:

What is the best way to approach this:

1.Wooden box structure built with 2x4 joists at 90 Deg to existing joists
2. Wooden box structure built with 2x4 joists running parallel to existing joists (Laid on top)
3. New raised floor using joist hangers on walls fixed a few inches above existing floor

How can I work out the loads imposed to if the esisting floor can take the new weight (Kg to KN/m2) - Building Regs states floors are designed to take 1.5 KN/m2

Will the new floor take the weight of the bath as well (considering when full + person)

Do I need to obtain approval from building regs or can I just build

Any advice will be helpfull
Rich

Sponsored Links
Normally you would double up the floor joists under a bath location just cos you dont want a crack appearing between bath and tiles..

So when you box in the area spread the weight between a few floor joists.. best to run some joists at 90' to the current ones to spread things out a little..

Rich, I've been awaiting other responses but as you've only had one, I think that says a lot!

What your proposing is totally crackers; in a penthouse suite, I can’t understand why you would want one & money can solve virtually any problem but in your average 12 x 12 bedroom (or even 12 x 20), I can’t see how you could possibly comply with Building Regulations, have you even considered that?

You can’t just build what you want without consequences; there are several Building Regs. you need to comply with & you will need approval & probably inspection to certify it compliant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back