Raising level of joists in loft for storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently moved house,and want to use the loft for storing suitcases and Christmas decorations etc. However I've noticed that it's been insulated between the joists and then another layer runs perpendicular to the lower layer. This means I can't place boards over the insulation, I've been advised to raise the level of the joists. I just wanted to ask if this wa feasible, it's a 1930's semi-detached house, with 4 x 2 joists seperated at 30cm intervals. At two points in the loft there are much bigger joists approximately 4 x 8 in size running in parallel with the 4 x 2. Can I just raise the level of the joists by adding more 4 x 2 running perpendicular to the current joists and then lay the insulation between them?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
yes

if you screw the counterbattens to the original timbers, it will also be more rigid. Place them at an interval which is convenient for boarding over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back