raising roof height- wooden frame/ windows on top of brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an asbestos roofed lean to style garage on the side of my house..

I want to turn it into a garden room and utility on the front ( with a big double door should we want to get bikes and what not in )

the roof is pitched onto a brick wall approx 2200 mm high ( including a 6 X 4 batton to which the roof joists attach

the other side is about 2.8

ideally we'd want the new flat roof at that height..

could we make a wooden frame to raise the height of the wall to the 2.8 high joist/rafters?

possible to put a thin series of windows along the top of the frame? I guess they would be about 500mm high and set 2200 off ground level?

what plans would I have to present ? is this a Building regs or planning?

thanks for any help - north west leicester

Sponsored Links
All things are possible but without some context (ie where the neighbours are, where the leanto is in relation to the front of the house and to the boundaries) it is hard to tell. Sketch the layout (I mean sketch- bit of paper with some rough dimensions of your house, your leanto, neighbours, road etc) then take a pic with your phone and stick it up here.

thanks for that

heres a sketch I made in the freebie sketch up. garden room to left ( will use as big as a french door / bifold as possible ) the utility at the from of the house with downstairs cloak possible shower room

at the back of the house the lean to garage didnt extend the whole length of the house

we think the Toilet which sticks out the back was part of the original structure and the lean to added on I would say at least 40 or 50 years ago. ( a previous owner loved ford capri's it seemed )

we plan to move the toilet and bring the extention up level with the back of the house - thats around 1600mm

we might utilise part of the wall of the toilet so we dont have to mess with the main house brick work?

I am hoping to dig foundations by self

perhaps even going DIY the whole way such id the nature of my work at the minute...

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 1.07.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 1.07.44 PM.png

IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG
IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG

Have a look at the Planning Portal https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/17/extensions . A quick skim says you won't need planning permission but you will almost certainly need building regs. If you're doing it yourself then you can do it on a building notice (minimal paperwork involved), if you're lucky the BCO will advise you on all sorts of stuff. I'm not sure about your windows on top of the boundary wall- have a chat with your neighbour, see what they reckon to them. You might not be able to open them (unless they opened inwards)

From an aesthetic point of view I'd keep a pitched roof. Nothing stopping you setting the top of the roof just under the windowsill, long as eaves height is less than 3m you're still PD.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back