Raising Roof - Neighbours object, will it be refused?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm submitted plan to raise the roof (mansard type) for an extra floor. I've just noticed online that All the neighbors contacted objected due to 'out of characer' & loss of light causing shadow in the garden. Nearest house is 45 feet away, next door no objection. There is another house which had a similar extension 4 houses down and another a bit further. Application is still under consideration. Will my application be REFUSED, verbal advice given to me was that it should be ok since there is similar house already. Should I contact them or shall I wait for the Official Response? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
A neighbour objection does not imply a refusal. Frankly, if the planning officer dealing with it believes it is OK, then in all probability it will be approved, regardless of objections.

The only problem might be that if a certain number of neighbours object, or it gets 'called in' by a councillor, then it could go to a committee meeting and then it's anyone's guess.

Thanks! Neighbor who is 6 feet on the side has not objected. 4 neighbors objected all of whom claim for shadows and surrounding. Also spoke to the Architect, hopefully the Planning Officer will come visit to ascertain

Get in contact with the Planning Officer near to the date of determination asking for an update. If it is likely to be refused, ask for the application to be withdrawn. As mentioned on another thread, a withdrawal looks better on property history searches than a refusal. However, if the application is withdrawn, you will not be provided with an officers report and decision notice. If you let the application run its course and wait for the refusal, then you will be provided with both these documents. They could be quite useful in amending the design with the aim of re-submitting.

Sponsored Links
I think the determination date is 31 Dec and the last working date could be 20 Dec. In any case I'm in no hurry and would like to have the report to resubmit. Architect mentioned it's no cause for worry and business as usual as it appears that one neighbor to have instigating the others as the reason is the same from all of them

Hi there

I am now part way through my build after getting PP about July time. I had a neighbour object for similar reasons as you state. I say object, it was more of a rant really!

When I found out the neighbours had objected, I took some pictures centred around their objections (overlooking, loss of privacy etc) and went on a charm offensive with my case officer. It went down very well with him.

My pictures pretty much blew their objections out of the water in that they demonstrated that their objections were not borne out. If the nearest neighbour who has objected is, I think you said, 45 ft away, take pictures of your property in relation to theirs etc with a view to playing down their concerns.

After my visit to planning, I very much felt the case officer was on my side. Yes he had to come out and visit and pander to the neighbours but I think my proactive action tipped it in our favour.

Some councils operate a objection threshold that when reached, means automatic referral to committee and others have referrals from councillors or the parish council. If it goes there, a group of councillors can decide emotionally rather than on policy which could cause a problem.

Generally, planning officers decide planning apps objectively on policy, not on rants from neighbours. Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back