Raising Stone Resin Shower Tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 900mm stone resin shower tray that I am installing in my ensuite. The flooring is chipboard and is reasonably level. The waste pipes will need to cross where the joists are so I will be raising the tray so that the pipes are above the floor.

I'm trying to decide on the best way to raise and anchor the tray. If the tray was placed directly on the floor, the underside of the base of the tray would touch the floor, i.e. the base is flush with the bottom of the sides of the tray.

I was thinking about buying some treated timber (100mm high), fixing that to the floor (somehow), then placing the shower tray on top of the timber (fixed - somehow).

Does this sound sensible? And what should I fix the timber to the floor with and what should I fix the tray to the timber with?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
hi, i have just fitted a stone resin tray in my bathroom,straight onto the floor boards the fitting instructions said to lay it on a bed of sand and cement.I wasnt happy with that,so i ask a friend of mine what he would do he said the best way is to use a no nails compound,or somthing similar.
So you could make your frame first and use the same no nails to fix it to the floor or screw the frame down with long screws and also use the no nails as well. use marine plywood for the top of the frame then coate the tray with no nails and lay it on top,belive me it wont move at all so make sure its in the right position first . hope that helps.

@spyro46 cheers - that ties in with what I was thinking. The base is very heavy so once fixed hopefully it will be very sturdy.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just make a frame using 4x2 or 6x2 wood, lay on top at least 12mm external ply, seal this timber with PVA, when all dry you need to lay the tray on a weak mix of building sand and cement, you need to do this not just to hold the tray down like no nails but also to bed the tray in as shower trays are notoriously uneven, with the weight of a person some trays can crack especially the stone ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back