Raising the level of my lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large dip in my lawn, about 5 metre diameter, and 1 metre deep (in the middle).

I would like to level it off. I guess I just fill it with top soil (throwing the top soil on top of the extg grass) until it is level and then throw some grass seed down and watch it grow.

Is this correct? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have a large dip in my lawn, about 5 metre diameter, and 1 metre deep (in the middle).
I would like to level it off. I guess I just fill it with top soil (throwing the top soil on top of the extg grass) until it is level and then throw some grass seed down and watch it grow.
Is this correct? Many thanks.

I'd suggest treading down the top soil in layers and maybe lifting the turf round the edges. If the grass is in the dip is good you could lift it and use it as turf to relay the area you have raised.

When we bought our house the back garden was left to totally grow over, plus had loads fo concrete all over it

here is the work just beginning

thestart.jpg

after all the concrete had been removed the garden was as unlevel as a see-saw!

gettingthere.jpg

i have just laid 22 tonne of soil in there so its now level

it takes time but its do-able!

throwing soil on top of grass im told is bad, as the grass will rot an start to sink, as far as im aware you would need to dig out the existing lawn an relay it after topping up the subsoil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back