ramin vs oak and other hardwood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, i want to make hardwood pegs for drawboring mortice and tenon joints but after looking in all the local timber yards the only hardwood they stock is ramin.

Can ramin be used for external joinery? What other hardwood would you suggest for pegs used in external joinery? Does ramin make a good substitute for oak and other hardwoods?

Im new to woodworking and as yet i dont understand all the subtleties of the various species. Can anyone please help to point me in the right direction about the various species of hardwood?

Thanks rabit

Sponsored Links
Best option is to use the same timber as the mortise & tenon are made from, same density strength etc....pinenot :)

As pinenot says, use the same timber as the rest of the job. You use a dowel plate to make the dowels, basically a piece of steel plate with hole(s) of the right size drilled in it. You hammer pieces of wood cut to the appropriate size through the holes, giving you a length of dowel.
When you come to use them, taper the end that goes into the joint first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back