Random sensor??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an L reg astra 1.6i GLS hatchback which is still running well despite it's 150k, but a few day ago I noticed something odd.

When parked up I discovered a wire hanging down below the front nearside bumper with what I assumed was a blue electrical male plug on the end. Try as I might I couldn't find anywhere it would plug into. Looking at it again I realised there were no exposed contacts, and what I now think might be some kind of sensor, which can be unclipped from the plug/wire.

A couple of days before I noticed it I did hit a rabbit which bumped around a bit underneath the car, so I was wondering whether this could have dislodged this mystery part.

Could it be an airbag sensor? This is the only thing I can think of so far forward in the nearside quarter, but I don't really know much about airbags and how the sensors work.

The car is running fine (670 mile round trip this weekend, including a long holdup in the M42 resurfacing yesterday) with no apparent problems or warning lights. I haven't tried unplugging the sensor and running the engine, yet, but have just thought it might bring up a warning light - any other thoughts? I could take a pictire of it if it helps.

Sponsored Links
Could it be the cable for a brake pad wear sensor?

Have a look on the offside and see if there is a corresponding wire still plugged in to where it belongs.

Thanks for the idea - I've just been to check it and it doesn't have enough cable to reach as far as the brakes. I've also run the engine with the sensor detached and it made no difference with no warning lights.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, hadn't thought of that but I've used the horn since the wire appeared so it's not that. Last time I fitted a new horn it was spade connectors, this is a properly moulded connector block.

The only place the wire would reach would be the radiator (no place for it there though) and possibly the gearbox, though again there's no obvious place for it.

Keep the thoughts coming though, we might stumble upon it in the end.

have you got a ambient air temp display in car. diconnect sensesor should see three lines. reconnect should come back on

simple :LOL:

Have got one, it's never worked though, except the odd occasion when it reads 75 deg C. Sounds like a logical explanantion - cheers Dave.

Sponsored Links
Back