Random stalls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, having a bit of a problem with my car. It's a petrol 1.3 skoda felicia (or for anyone that's ever driven one, a skoda fellatio ;) ) and it has a habit of just dying randomly.
A few months ago it started hiccuping occasionally, it'd lurch as if I'd suddenly taken my foot off the accelarator and then back on again. However, this has developed now into it completely losing power and then stalling a few seconds later Just before it dies it sounds like the engine is ticking over in neutral, and doesn't respond at all when I push the accelerator. I can start it again after a few minutes and it'll carry on fine until the next time it gives up.
I don't usually drive it that much, but I'm playing in a pantomime this week so it's pretty vital that I get there on time each night, and it died on me 4 times on the way home tonight, which doesn't bode well for tomorrow!
It doesn't sound like an electrical probem to me, but I have changed the dizzy cap and rotor arm anyway because they looked a bit worn. The HT leads and spark plugs are all fine as far as I can tell.
I'm sure I will have to take the car in to the garage at some point, but I'd definitely appreciate knowing what the problem is first so they don't find some way of extorting money out of me for something I don't need!
Thanks a lot in advance,
Ed :)

Sponsored Links
had the same problem i changed fuel filter but still cut out in the end local garage had it in on diagnostics and found air control valve in carb to be faulty

it cost £45 for diagnostic + £65 parts/labour,,,i think diagnostics is the way to go as you may be changing parts just for the hell of it without getting the results

Sponsored Links
Yea I think I will just put it through the diagnostic machine actually, definitely can't afford to experiment with changing bits and pieces! Thanks for the advice mate

what year is the car?

If its still got a dizzy cap and rotor arm, its probably not got any OBD

Back