Polo stalls when coming to a halt.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, hopefully one of you guys will be able to help.

I have a 1999 Polo which has started giving me a problem.

When im coming to a stop i will put the clutch down and apply the brake. The car will then do one of two things,

1, The revs will drop very low and they feel 'lumpy' and 'rough'-the stall battery light will flick on as though the car tried to stall but caught itself. If it catches itself it is fine and sets off fine.

or

2, The car will do the above but cut out/stall.

As you can imagine, the car stalling nearly every time i come to a stop is a bit of a problem :oops:

I havent done anything with it yet as not had time but thought i would ask for a few idea's before i did so as i might have an idea of where to start. The car does burn a little oil, not a lot but requires topping up every month or so. The Ht leads, plugs and dizzy cap were all new about 10 months ago as was the oil filter.

I was thinking maybe a sensor could be to blame? Any suggestions welcome.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
id have a look around for signs of air leaks first on the hoses etc. idle control valve also a common cause of this type of problem, cleaning it out is usually enough to cure it. not sure where it is on the polo though

Thought id post back to maybe help someone doing a future search, as i seem to have fixed the problem.

I did the following

1, Cleaned the air filter out as it was reasonably dusty.
2, Disconnected the battery for half an hour (ive been told this 'resets' the computer) and tightened the terminals on reconnection.
3, Disconnected the throttle potentiometer sensor and cleaned the connections.
4, Cleaned the throttle body using a rag and some wd40- the throttle body was very dirty and i suspect this was the problem.

As i say the fault has disappeared so i must have done something correctly, the idle has improved drastically and is now very consistent and steady, if not a little high at 600 rpm. The cutting out when stopping no longer occurs and the car seems to start a lot quicker.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Cleaning the throttle body and air filter would have been the culprit.
Be careful with using wd-40 on the throttle body though, should really use carb cleaner which doesnt leave an oily residue like wd-40

Back