Range Cooker Disaster

J

j88olt

This is a horror story that unfolded after buying an oil-fired range for central heating and cooking in December 2012. It has been a nightmare purchase and Vintage Ranges has been a truly horrible company to deal with. The range was eventually delivered 7 months late(!!!!) after chasing the owner, John Cleary, around the UK. He now trades out of a unit based in Brundish, Suffolk.

My experience has been pretty awful. First the range had inherent manufacturing faults: One lid doesn't fit property, the door hinges are bent, one door catch was broken off, patches of rust on the base... Then two days after installation of the range by an OFTEC oil engineer the left hand hot plate was searing hot at the back when only the central heating burner was on. When the cooker boiler was turn on and turn up gradually, excessive heat transferred across the hot plates so fast that the surrounding top plate exploded in 3 different places - one measuring 10 x 2.5cm. A couple of days later, again with only the central heating burner on (position 2) black fumes were belching out of the fan flue and the house was full of black, potentially dangerous fumes. Vintage Ranges was informed and Cleary asked to inspect the damage but instead disassembled the boiler, leaving it in pieces which meant that OFTEC was unable to investigate the root cause. The blast tube was two thirds melted and other adjacent components melted.

It cost me £2000 to get the house cleaned from top to bottom. Thankfully no-one was killed or harmed as the house was empty at the time.

Because the manufacturer disassembled the boiler before OFTEC could examine it he cleverly avoided investigation of the appliance by them. Alarmingly OFTEC allow him to commission ranges when he is not OFTEC registered to do so!!!

Three months on and I still don't have a working range as protracted discussions with John Cleary have led nowhere. He has refused to replace, refund or repair the range, only offering to undertake replacement of parts and full refurbishment at my cost. It was very interesting to read a comment of his in an earlier in a post on the ukplumbersforum that read:
"Best advice for anyone with problems with a Heritage is to demand of them that they remove it immediately and replace it with a Vintage Range and to pay for the distress and replacement costs. I designed and founded Heritage in 1999, I chose an 'Undesirable' business partner, a strange one! Took him to task and then created Vintage."

It's a shame John Cleary doesn't practice what he preaches!

I am posting this information as a warning to anyone thinking of getting a Vintage Range and I would be interested to hear from anyone with problems associated with John Cleary / Vintage Ranges.

To see the damage and distress this range has caused take a look at this video:

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear of your problems, you obviously bought a bum range from a dodgy dealer. Personally I would suggest in future you stick to the good names (Stanley: Rayburn: Esse etc) and ensure that your installer is OFTEC registered. I see that you, as I, are in Cornwall. We are not allowed to give names on here but I have just had a new Stanley installed and am very happy with the cooker and installer. I can propbably say that it is a Launceston company.

Thanks for your advice. Did plenty of research before purchasing and since this guy was a co-founder of Heritage in Liskeard and I had met owners of his current range, all seemed OK. Like you say, a bum buy and an even bigger bum of a company to deal with when it all went wrong.

If you are interested you are welcome to come and see our new Stanley, we are near Liskeard.

Sponsored Links
Send him a letter before action telling him what you want him to do and by when. If he fails to respond, take him to court. Check your insurance policies to see if you have legal expenses cover too. If not, after April 1, the small claims limit rises from £5000 to £10000 so if you keep your claim under £10000, it's very straightforward to represent yourself. If your claim will be more than £10000 it will be fast-tracked. With a bit of research, you can still represent yourself.

OMG that's great news about the small claim's court limit being raised to £10,000 as up to now I keep being told it's only £5000 and I am over this limit so didn't think this was a route open to me. I have sent him so many letters (wording advised by Which? solicitors) setting out my position under the Sale of Goods Act as the range was supplied unfit for purpose due to the defects etc and he has continued over and over to just ignore them, not even having the manners to acknowledge them.

I ended up posting the videos and messages on forums, Youtube, Vimeo etc out of total and utter frustration. So pleased I did...

speak to trading standards , their officers will offer you advice.He has clearly sold you something that is not fit for purpose and worse still dangerous. Also speak to the health & safety body as they may be interested in the incident. As for oftec they are a toothless body with no powers whatsoever , I am an oil engineer & to install an oil appliance & to commission you should be oftec registered with the appropriate qualification. You do not need to oftec registered to service & repair. I would haunt the git till I got my money back :evil:

Thanks Murf520970 for your comments. I contacted Trading Standards and Health and Safety at the beginning of January who are still in the process of investigating it! I can't believe how slow they work, but I did get an email from H&S yesterday saying they want to take it further....

If that is the manual (youtube video, 10s) then the CE mark is wrong, and thus the manual at least is illigally marked.

Trading standards would be VERY interested to hear about a company illigally CE marking dangerous goods. The person responsible for putting that product to marked is legaly responsible and can face jail time for it.

Sponsored Links
Back