Cast iron range cooker: Stored heat v Forced draught burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking for a cast-iron cooker (gas) but not sure which one to buy. Would appreciate all the advice.

According to the article below (see link below), not every cast iron range cooker works in the same way, some are stored heat cookers (atmospheric burner), others are Forced draught burner.

http://www.cosi.co.uk/choosingyour-rangecooker/

Atmospheric burner (Aga)

Forced-draught burner (Redburn, Esse, Thornhill, Heritage [gas discontinued], Marshall [oil only], Sandyford)

I understand that the Aga works on the principle of a large heavy mass full of heat, if you put something cooler and smaller inside, heat simply transfers from the large heat mass to the small one. There is virtually no air movement in the oven so flavours stay intact, food stays moister.

So, my question: Do forced-draught burner ranges radiate heat from all the cast iron oven surfaces simultaneously like the Aga in terms of cooking or are they fierce direct heat?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back