Which system to install - help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We are renovating and extending an old farm cottage which will be a medium – large sized 4 bed house with 3 reception rooms (breakfast room / kitchen, snug and family room). We plan to have an aga style cooker / room heater with a separate hob and oven also (for ease) and a separate central heating system.

The original house is part cob / part brick and is south facing. The extension is going on the North facing elevation. The south facing side is constructed from brick and as such we have added an extra 60mm insulation. The extension is half block and half glazed oak frame.
We are really struggling with heating options. Everything seems to have pros and cons and we often come back to an oil solution which is something we are trying to avoid!

Our current thoughts are:

• Oil cast iron aga style cooker in the breakfast room, oil central heating and log burners in the snug and family room. We have found an aga style cooker that claims to be fairly economical (eco range) as it runs on a jet burner system that can be turned on and off at will, rather than a wick system.

• An oil or an electric aga type cooker with solar thermal and a log burner with a back boiler for the central heating. We have had this central heating system before (without solar thermal) and whilst not ideal it did work.

We haven’t yet decided whether to have underfloor heating in the kitchen / breakfast room and utility room.

We have almost completely discounted airscource or groundscoure heat pumps as I have concerns that they will not be powerful / efficient enough in a 400 year old cottage.

We have a complete blank canvas and any thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

P.S. we need to make a decision within the next couple of weeks.

Sponsored Links
Pressure jet AGA's are put on this earth strictly to persecute yours truly :p
I'd ditch that one and go for a quality oil boiler such as a Grant which will give you plenty of stored hot water (non vented) and radiator central heating.
I'll let others continue, and I'm sure there will be plenty of options to consider.
John :)

I agree with John on the Jet Aga burner, have you thought about LPG storage tank instead of an oil tank on site?

Pete

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back