Can you add a hot-water tank to a Combi-system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have our hot water and central heating supplied by an Ideal Logic combi 35, however our rear kitchen is currently heated by a wood-burning stove.
The house is part of a terrace with the rear south-facing, getting no sun at all and with a solid floor is always cold.
I am considering replacing the woodstove with a multi-fuel Rayburn or similar.
We have always had Agas, Rayburn or similar stoves so are well versed in the pro's and cons.
Whilst it is possible to find Rayburns etc 'cooker only' the vast majority of the non-central heating models incorporates a boiler for hot water only.
Hence my question. Is it possible to add a hot water tank with the necessary coils inside to facilitate an added heat source to the hot water supply only?
I guess anyone wishing to add-in solar hot water must face the same issues.
We know an alternative to multi-fuel would be the electric versions or the Everhot range, but after having first hand experience of living with these types of heater/cooker know the cost of the gas/electric/oil & solid/multi-fuel/wood & one advantage of the multi/wood stove, living in a country town, is we shall always have a warm room in the house no matter what the energy companies do.

Sponsored Links
No it's not possible, your combi runs the hot water at mains pressure and an AGA/Rayburn would need it to be at low pressure. Similarly for the heating circuit. Why not just buy a cooker-only model? The Rayburn 200SFW and 300W will both do what you want them to do (although only the 200SFW is multi-fuel, the 300W is wood-only). The Esse 905WN, 990WN, and Ironheart are options for wood-only, Wamsler 700, 900 & 1100 are all multi-fuel, or for something a bit more modern look at the Firebelly Razen

You could always use a low pressure system for the bulk of the hot water supply and reconfigure the combi pipework as a 'Y' or 'S' plan to supply the stored hot water and radiators.

The hot water supply from the combi could then just be connected to a single low usage tap say in a WC or utility.

Regardless of that, connecting two heat sources to the same system can be quite an involved task.

Connected my daughter combi to serve the kitchen and utility then a Yplan and cylinder to serve the bathrooms, so yes I would say with some pipe modification it could be done.

Sponsored Links
Old and new don't mix well. Or if they do it's expensive and never worth it.
Either old fashioned or new the choice is yours.

any boiler that can heat radiators can heat a cylinder. Including combis.

If you want to heat the from a stove and from a boiler, you will probably need a 2-coil cylinder.

I don't know if it is worth the trouble.

any boiler that can heat radiators can heat a cylinder. Including combis.

If you want to heat the from a stove and from a boiler, you will probably need a 2-coil cylinder.

I don't know if it is worth the trouble.

Hmm a gravity coil and a sealed system coil in one cylinder, sounds like a special order jobby to me, £££££££££££££££££££££££££

I've spotted a house that has solar-hot water & know that they had a new boiler under the 'Nest' scheme at the same time we did so guess they managed somehow.
To be honest the hot water isn't a priority it would just be a by-product of the big cast-iron lump whose main raison d'etre is to provide a heat source all year round.
I'm on a very limited budget and this type of stove in the 2nd hand market usually have a boiler, however I know the empty boiler can be filled with sand negating the need for a water tank.
Thanks everyone.

You can add a cylinder to a combi boiler but you must have at least one outlet that runs off the plate to plate.

No, it means that one hot water outlet must come off the combi

how does the combi know there isn't just a hot tap that is never turned on?

A large thermal store(sludge bucket) or heat bank serviced by the AGA/Rayburn. Then some controls for the HW secondary side, deffo could be done with some thought & cleaver wiring. You'd need a good Plumber/Heating Engineer, so if you're on a tight budget, it's a bit of a non starter really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back