Tank to supply bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. To date we have used Galaxy under counter heaters to supply all our hot water needs and they're excellent. Hot water when you need it short dead runs etc.

We now want a bath and a Galaxy isn't up to filling a bath. We only have an electric connection but we do have two multi-fuel stoves (coal/wood).

Ideally I would like a tank which can take a 240v and 12v (from a PV) heating element plus indirect heating from the stoves. I appreciate that a stove is an uncontrolled heat source and I would need to design as such. Are there multi source tanks out there? Any recommendations from those who have already done this?

We're pretty much off grid i.e. £10 month electricity and really would like to use the stoves to heat/pre heat the water.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
how many litres per minute of cold water from the mains come out of your kitchen cold tap?

do you already have a hot water cylinder?

do you already have a cold water tank in the loft?

have you got room for either or both?

how many litres per minute of cold water from the mains come out of your kitchen cold tap?

do you already have a hot water cylinder?

do you already have a cold water tank in the loft?

have you got room for either or both?

Cold water taps are mains pressure restricted so the water doesn't splash up from the sink bottom. No cylinder or tank. Loft does probably have room for a tank. Maybe 5 foot to apex as the ridge is only 18 foot high. I was thinking tank in loft and cylinder in garage loft. Head would only be 2 foot between cylinder and bath but could use 12v impeller.

Sponsored Links
to fill a bath you need a good flow of water. See if you can measure the litres per minute available from the mains by timing a bucket to full at a garden tap or some other outlet such as a washing machine hose.

It is very important to know this figure in order to decide what sort of system would be suitable.

Flow is not the same as pressure.

It is preferable to have your hot water storage very close the the batgroom and kitchen taps, but also fairly close to (and above, or gravity) the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back