Central heating dedcision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents want me to installl central heating in their cottage. It is currently heated by an oil fired AGA in the kitchen and a Yotul wood burning stove in the lounge. The decision I have to make is whether to install an oil fired boiler (HRM Wallstar 15-20) or change the AGA for a Stanley range with central heating burner.
11 rads to run: uitility room, kitchen, hall, lounge (2), study, landing, 3 beds, and reconenect bathroom rad to CH.
I do not want to use a Rayburn as they hafve to be switched on and left for 30 mins to heat up, according to the AGA sales rep.
Never installed HRM wallstar, not sure where to cut the hole in th wall.
Stanley range cookers were recommended to me by a builder but I know no more.

Given the rising price of oil are there any cheaper or more envirnmentally friendly options, but not coal or wood?

Sponsored Links
I dont see why leaving a Rayburn on and letting it warm is a problem. These are fantastic boiler/cookers and are truley reliable now they've changed the burner. Only thing with them and the stanley is you need the installer to have the proper qualification for these, not just say we can do boilers or cookers. for a registerd AGA/ Rayburn/ Stanleyi nstaller speak to the reps

Surely all boilers or ranges with heating boilers will need a while to heat up?

Whats different about the AGA apart from the honesty of the rep perhaps?

I dont understand quite why so much work and cost is proposed?

Why not keep the existing range and just add a system boiler for the heating???

Tony

Sponsored Links
Stick to wood, oil is now up to 42p a litre!!!!!!!!!!! Your parents need to talk to me, central hating is not a universal panacea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back