Boiler decision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have asked me to install central heating in their property, 3 bed cottage. It has an oil fired AGA in the kitchen and a Yotul wood burning stove in the lounge.
I am proposing to install a wall mounted oil fired boiler (15-20KW) in the utility room.

I did a search on here and the HRM wallstar were recommended.

I spoke to a local plumbers merchant who expressed the view that the pumps in wall mounted boilers were often not good enough to raise the oil the required height to the boiler, typically 1-1.5m. He was not an agent for the HRM so he may be selling me down the oil slick?

The builder (Jim) I am going to do this with had not heard this, so I wonder if the merchant was being too enthusiastic about it?

What ar the pros and cons on push fit versus soldered joints from a reliability point of view. I am going to use 15mm copper pipe to the 11 rads. Plumbers I have spoken to do not like the push fit from a reliability point of view, but Jim the builder (30 years experience) reckons push fit is ok. Push fit are guarranteed for 50 years? but soldered copper joints fail as well at some point

Apart from the cutting of the hole in the wall for the HRM Wallstar, are there any issues to consider when installing the Wallstar?

Sponsored Links
The big issue is Building Regulations and the boiler manufacturer's warranty if its not professionally installed and commissioned by an OFTEC registered person.

Tony

Push fit is OK, but many of us use copper (and therefore solder) for heating because plastic breaths, even barrier pipe lets oxygen in. I have no problems with plastic on the water side.

Recently Tectight brought out as new non demountable push fitting. two local guys have had serious leaks, I didn't believe it myself as we were geting on great guns with it, but other day we had a leak from a t. After I cut it out to investigate it turned out my m8 had dislodged the o ring pushing his copper branch into the t. It remains to be seen if this was a one off or if we will have to cross them off our list of fittings we use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back