Oil filter position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my new HRM wallstar is a label saying fit the supplied paper filter at the lowest point in the oil pipe horizontal line. Why? That would put it back at the tank in my setup, conflicting with the max 3.5m from boiler rule. In a lot of case it would it under ground :( .

I can see why it should be fitted close to the boiler, so the oil is just filter before it is burned. But I can't see why at the lowest point.

Of course I can ask them Monday, but that's not tomorrow :) .

Sponsored Links
Put it below the boiler, high enough above the ground so you can service it. It's not critical, lots of installations don't have anything other than a strainer at the tank.

Spoke to HRM and they said to fit it at the tank. Latest rules remove the <3.5m from the boiler.

The reason for this is so that the joints, and filter are filled by the oil tank pressure. Mount the filter up high and the joints are under negative pressure and so more likely to let in air.

All of which seems reasonable. That way there is only the final joint to the boiler that is under negative pressure, all the rest are below the oil tank. Assuming the oil pipe run is one length of copper, which of course it should be. HRM reckon they get more problems with air coming in than oil coming out.

........ HRM reckon they get more problems with air coming in than oil coming out.

They're right, they do, but not if you use flared fittings. They will hold a vacuum from hand tight if you're lucky. What about the firevalve that should be in the line >1 metre from the boiler? There are are, I think, 7 joints from the end of the copper pipe into the oil pump even without the external fire valve. So the reasoning is not entirely sound. The airy joints though are mostly.......compression joints!

Sponsored Links
The same applies to all joints I assume. Take the oil pipe down to the lowest level before inserting anything, fire valve, filter, etc. Wallstar is of course wall mounted. Oil level is then above the fire valve, filter etc. so they are under positive pressure. Only boiler joint is above oil level and under negative pressure.

Only boiler joint is above oil level and under negative pressure.

I think you misread my meaning. The 7 joints are between the pipe at the boiler end and the oil pump, not at the tank end. Therefore there are 7 joints under suction without remote firevalve which will add another 4.

I don't tolerate leaks (full stop). If there's a tiger loop involved thats another 12 joints. Still no leaks. There may be 20 joints on a standard oil line or 32 with a tiger loop still no leaks. I don't know what these installers are doing to have leaks. Seems like incompetence.

You're right I did misread. Too focused on boiler to tank :( . Actually I only make it 3 joints

pipe | valve | flexible pipe | burner

| = joint

The valve is inside the boiler and is fire wheel and non return I think. All other joints could be below oil level.

I agree with you about making the joints - they shouldn't leak. I guess from HRM point of view it's better to mount stuff where there is less of a problem from bad joints, that way they get less calls.

pipe | valve | flexible pipe | burner

I would see it as pipe | adaptor | valve | adaptor | flexible pipe | adaptor |burner

There may be another one if the non-return valve and hand wheel fire valve are seperate units.

Don't forget, the installation will not comply with building regs unless you have a remote operated fire valve. The one in the boiler housing does not comply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back