Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dear DIY guys,

It's snowing here in Denmark and we are currently freezing at home, as the oil-fired boiler is not heating. It is heated by a oil burner (Reillo RG0.R), which is preceded by an two-pipe de-aerator (Tigerloop Type T 80 I) system and an oil filter (Oventrop oilpur). About a month ago the oil tank was refilled, and as first-time house-owners, we were not aware that contamination in the oil tank should be allowed to settle for some hours after filling. However, it has been running fine until now, when the burner suddenly turned off and the lock lamp turns on. I noticed that the oil filter had black goo on it, and have now emptied the filter cup a couple of times, and attempted to wipe the filter clean. After opening the fuel line, the oil filter cup is not filling completely up. However, I don't know if its supposed to either. I noticed that some air bubbles were coming up along the side of the filter cup, but don't know if this is normal. I also noticed that the de-aerator would not fill up at all, and assume that this explains why the burner keeps turning off. I was wondering if you would have any ideas to how I could troubleshoot this issue.

Could it be due to a clogged filter?
Could it be a de-aerator failure?
Could it be an oil pump failure?
Could it be an issue with air in the fuel line?

Best,
Rikki

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Clogged filter, but also an oil line that is leaking and allowing air to ingress. You may not have reinstalled the filter correctly. Don't forget, you may also have a filter that needs to be bled. Some pictures would be good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back