Project AGA Rayburn Heating

Simon,
offence is not whats being handed out here, those who take offense are obviously not trying to think out of the box at potentially tryng something a little different.
Personally i'm not a qualified plumber, but am driven to it because i have around 20 plumbing companies that only want to work on new build houses, are not willing to take on old housing, not willing to look at new technology such as pellet boilers and renewables like solar. Not willing to get out of Bed to replace a bathroom and replace an entire gravity system. Or when they do turn up to give a quote - give quotes for over 4500 for fitting 10 radators (most of which are 30 quid jobs from screwfix) using pex piping. It also took 3 months speaking to a bout 8 different plumbers to identify a simple device like a redring powersteam, which ironically i found out about by speaking to a hair dresser who had 3 in her shop..

Why am i driven to thinking up ideas like this - because nobody gives 2 hoots about work where i live, and if the system didnt work for any reason they'd take 3 months to get them to come out. If everyone in this forum offers better service than any of the above you aint included in my angst against my local plumbers. Believe me having a family of 5 freeze their nackers off for a winter and then having a £1000 quarterly electric bill for a 4 bed house as part of the deal i think anyone'd been a little peeved

Simon - If a Heat store can give me an entire tank of hot water to then heat a coil of mains cold water then thats whats probably needed. My driving force is to have heating and cooking if possible without electric as we have regular power cuts (some times 3 - 4 a week), hence the need for heating a cold water coil and using a wood range.

A Rayburn 355 can give me 58000 BTU for central heating using 2 independant boilers that take the heat from 1 heat source. My main question which Rayburn nor any rayburn dealer will ever answer is why i would need 2 boilers when i can only see that i'd only need 1. at the end of it they are there to sell 2 boiler systems whether i need it or not.
If i need to buy 2 boilers I'd like to know why, and if my theory could be discussed and explored a little bit the theory could be implemented on a wider scale to other range cookers including AGA, who do not offer central heating but do offer hot water.

Cozzmic - thanks for the contribution but isnt their any form of pressure reduction valve that could kick in and drain to an over flow?

Kevplumb - not to sound cheeky but well done your miles ahead of my locals already. If you've educated your self thats insight and career development. everyone's gotta start somewhere. SO if thats the case you've surely thought about how things could be either improved or done in a better way..

Sponsored Links
Try www.agacentral.com, here you will find all the aga, rayburn engineers who install and sevice them and i'm sure some will have the answer to your question. :D
Personally i've always found the company to be quite helpfull so am a little surprised by their lack of help. :eek:

But if you read the instructions on a Mega flo they tell you do not connect to an unregulated heat source. Yes there is safety valves but then you get into wasting water if the valve starts to dump out also is not your and your families safety more important. I can see what your trying to do but with the Mega it IMHO cannot be done so its inherantly safe all the way.
Light bulb moment! Use an open vented heat store which you can connect two heat sources with ordinary coils in it and a high recovery coil at the top which cold mains passes through therefore giving mains hot water. The unit name defeats me but Kev might know (morning Kev). The two boilers in the rayburn will be for when the cooker is on you get the benifit on the water getting heated without you having to have the CH boiler on(summer months) but if you need it you can light the second boiler for that extra heat. also it helps to keep the Rayburn under control so it doesn't over heat (heat leak into hot water storage).

Would that lightbulb moment be the heatstore I suggested yesterday?

Sponsored Links
have a look at
www.range -cylinders.co.uk the flowmax is the type:cool:
www dot range-cylinders dot co dot uk :rolleyes:

Safety is a very big issue and thanks, it was also noted as being a potential bomb if unvented earlier on.

I'll have a look into the heat source tanks and get back to you later. Any pointers are mucho appreciated.

One of the issues I picked up on rayburns was the excessive amount of hot water they produce, one forum even had a guy who was told to resolve his hot water excess by installing a jacuzzi or a 25m pool(bit excessive in my view tho.)

I'll keep you up to date on my findings with the aga engineers.

nuffin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back