change rayburn gas fired central heating

9 Jun 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
HI, can you help with this please. I have bought a bungalow that has a gas fired rayburn cooker that runs the central heating as well, I am thinking as it is not very efficient way to cook/heat I want to change it so here are my questions.

Can I just remove the rayburn and have a new boiler fitted using the same pipework and fit new rads

remove the rayburn and have a combi boiler fitted use the same pipework and new rads, have the hot water replumbed to get rid of tanks

or last rip the lot out and have all new with combi boiler

also what should I expect to pay for labour for each job
Sponsored Links
The cheapest option will probably be to rip the rayburn out and have a combi
removing any tanks.
If the radiators are reasonably new they will be fine.
It might be a good idea to put new radiators in.
Usually a boiler and radiator pack costs about 1000-1500 see modern radiators work much better than old panel radiators that don't have convectors.

Although on the other hand the rayburn will still be running when you rip any boiler you put in out.

If you haven't got a hot water tank thermostat and wall thermostat have these fitted to stop the heating when the house is already hot.
Sponsored Links
But you did not answer his question! He asked for labour costs!

A good make combi boiler is about £1000 and fitting it to your system perhaps about £950.

Removing your cooker about £200 but you may be able to sell it for something as others like them!

They can be pretty heavy too! Specialist removers can be needed. Local scrap men often remove them for free!


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local