Range Rating - Vokera 20 80 RS Turbo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all,

Just curious really.... While reading through my 20/80 service manual (excellent bedtime reading), I noticed that as part of the commissioning it states that the boiler should have its maximum rate set, so that when it fires for CH it gives the burner the required flow for the required heating output in KW or BTU/h.
The CH range rating potentiometer adjustment only limits the boiler whilst it's on high flame. When it modulates down to low flame, it uses the low burner pressure.
I can't understand why one would need to limit the upper burner pressure for CH. My understanding is that when the CH is switched on, the boiler fires on high and heats up the water in the circuit as quickly as possible. Once it's done this, the thermostat tells the boiler to switch to low flame and continue. Once the low flame has continued to heat the water past the stat's cut off point, the system shuts off until the water temp drops below the thermostat's setting, at which point the boiler fires up again on a low flame and the cycle repeats, going from low flame to off, low flame to off.

From what I can work out, adjusting the maximum burner rate for CH simply means that the boiler will heat up the CH water slowly or quickly before switching to low fire.

Am I completely misunderstanding it? I gather I am, as if it truly worked in the way I have described I doubt it would be adjustable!

Cheers

Stu

Sponsored Links
If boiler puts in more heat than can leave it, it will cycle all the time or overheat/make lots of noise.

If the boiler outputs 20kwatts to radiator that only need 10, boiler reaches operating temperature very fast to then go to low flame. It is like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut; a toffee hammer would be ebtter.

Low flame is there to smooth peaks and troughs of heat output.

Great boiler. Look after it (service- proper service, not often carried out is essential), it will look after your heating needs. Very reasonable to reapiar as well.

Thanks guys. I like the sledgehammer analogy.

When you say a 'proper service', could you please elaborate on anything in addition to what the service manual recommends?

Thanks!
Stu

Sponsored Links
Do what the book says. You will not go wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back