Range Tribune cupboard suddenly steamy! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last few days the cupboard in which my Range Tribune hot water heater lives has become very hot and steamy, which is damaging the plasterwork of the walls, and obviously not desirable. I've followed the pipes along, and the steam is coming from the vent pipe, which is open to the air, as I assume they all are. The vent pipe, where it flows out of the cupboard is very hot, but the water that's dripping into it from my heater is not, and neither is the pipe connecting it to the vent valve.
My mate reckons this means that the steam is being caused by someone else's hot water overflowing into the vent pipe - I live in a block of flats, so assume the outflow pipe is shared...
However, whoever is causing this, its damaging my property, and I need to get it fixed soon.
Any helpful advice would be gratefully received, as I know very little about these things, and am worried that I might be about to get clobbered by a large bill....
Thanks tons in advance! :)

Sponsored Links
Well you got one part right.

You have a fault on the cylinder, and must be turned off, before an plumber holding a G3 qualification can repair it.

Turn the heat source off immediately.

Thanks for your reply doitall. I did switch off the water heater for 3 days over the weekend incidentally, and it made no difference at all to the steaminess of the cupboard, which is one of the reasons that I thought the source might be coming from one of the other heaters in my block, rather than mine.
I will contact a qualified professional asap, anyway.

It may be your cylinder or just possibly it may be someone elses cylinder.

Whent he cylinder has cooled down after you switched it off then you can see if the steam is still coming out.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,

The cylinder was pretty cool when I came back from the weekend, having left it switched off all that time. However, there was still steam emanating from the vent pipe. Does that indicate that its someone else's cylinder, do you think, or could it still be mine? It was switched off for 48 hours.

Thanks for your help!

Even if it isn't your cylinder, which would indicate an installation fault anyway, the flat responsible should be made aware of the problem.

Do you have a management committee.

Sadly not. We do have a company who manages the property though, who I contacted yesterday and left a message. However, they haven't got back to me yet...
I've no idea who would be liable if its a general fault in the system. Hopefully not me individually! I own the flat, but general building repairs are the resposibility of the management compay.

Don't do anything untill you get hold of the management company.

Email or leave a message saying the cylinder is potentially life threatening and you expect an immediate response.

And keep a copy timed and dated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back