Range Tribune HE - how to increase pressure (new owner)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've moved in to a new house which has a system boiler and hot water tank (previously had oil combi boiler). The previous owners have very unhelpfully left no instruction manuals for the system, so we are unsure as to how everything all works.
We have had a service undertaken on the boiler, but the guy didn't really know what was going on upstairs with the hot water tank and pipework.
Having looked through various posts on this, it would appear that we have 2 expansion tanks - one for hot water (white with no gauge) and the other for the central heating (red with gauge).
I'm really unsure as to how to top up/increase the pressure on the boiler - gauge currently reading just under 1 bar.
I've attached some photos - gleaning information from helpful previous posts, we have a flexi filler hose with 2 valves. The black one closer to the red expansion tank can be turned fairly easily anti clockwise to open, but this does not increase the pressure. Does the other black one at the other end of the hose have to opened too? This is very stiff and as yet have been unable to turn.
I'd be grateful for your thoughts please.

Attachments

• IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 937
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 945
Sponsored Links
thanks very much for your reply. Being a complete novice, do you think the stiff tap should be turned anti clockwise and should I just apply a bit more pressure? I was worried I might break something!

Sponsored Links
also when I opened the first valve water was leaking - I take it this isn't normal, so do i need a new filler hose?

Sounds like the filling loop is guffed. Not a big job which should be covered by whoever's call out charge or whatever (we charge by the hour ornpatt thereof).

Engineer should have it done by the time you've made the tea. :)

I should add that where the pressure is does not need to cause a panic as long as it stays roughly there.

It's only if it goes down below 0.5 I would do anything.

ok thanks again. Will try to turn the valve later - must be just a bit tight! Any advice on how to approach that would be great thanks

The fact that the filing loop is knackered suggests it's not had much use, which is a good thing.
However it's a cheap part so replacement is a good idea.

These valves are not really serviceable, so ask your neighbours if they have a trusted local guy and get a new filling loop. It's not worth the risk of a bigger leak if you try to force it.

Thanks for the replies and very helpful advice - all sorted!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back