Range Tribune HE pressure drops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a "Range Tribune HE" hot water tank installed in our house, has a long term issue we are facing. It basically drop the pressure at least twice a month. When pressure goes down the water does not heat properly. As a workaround we do pressure manually few time which push the pressure up & all back to normal. There were few plumbers came around but had no clue what is the issue. One of them confirmed that there are no leaks. Anyone facing the same issues?
If someone advice/direct me to find the issue would be really appreciate.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20220917-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220917-WA0001.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
That pressure gauge is attached to a red expansion vessel. The expansion vessel for unvented hot water systems is generally white or blue. I would suggest:
1. Someone has fitted the wrong sort of expansion vessel.
2. More likely, that is the pressure gauge for your boiler, and you have a leak somewhere on the heating / hot water primary circuit. Some boiler will not work for hot water or heating if the system pressure is below a minimum value, normally around 0.5 bar.
3. Check for:
3a. Small weeps / leaks around radiator valves.
3b. Water leaking from the pressure relief vent pipe (outside pipe, copper, should have fitting / bend to face back to wall).

Normally the EV air end pressure would be set to 2.8/3.0 bar with no pressure at the water end and the cold water PRV would be set to 3.0 bar. Even if the mains pressure is too low at say 1.5bar this should still gve ~ 70% of the flow at 3.0 bar.
Cant understand why its affecting the heating of the cylinder, when the pressure is low, like above, are you still getting a reasonable flow from the hot taps.
When you "push" the pressure up manually, presumably by pumping up the air end? what pressure do you pump it to and does the pressure remain at this level when using hot water?.

That pressure gauge is attached to a red expansion vessel. The expansion vessel for unvented hot water systems is generally white or blue. I would suggest:
1. Someone has fitted the wrong sort of expansion vessel.
2. More likely, that is the pressure gauge for your boiler, and you have a leak somewhere on the heating / hot water primary circuit. Some boiler will not work for hot water or heating if the system pressure is below a minimum value, normally around 0.5 bar.
3. Check for:
3a. Small weeps / leaks around radiator valves.
3b. Water leaking from the pressure relief vent pipe (outside pipe, copper, should have fitting / bend to face back to wall).
Many Thanks for your reply.
1. This was fitted by the developer when the house was built in 2012. Have not replaced any expansion vessels.
3a. There are no leaks in radiators.
3b. There was a plumber around month ago & tested for any leaks. I believe he tested this (vent pipe). I will confirm this (waiting for a reply from plumber).

Sponsored Links
Normally the EV air end pressure would be set to 2.8/3.0 bar with no pressure at the water end and the cold water PRV would be set to 3.0 bar. Even if the mains pressure is too low at say 1.5bar this should still gve ~ 70% of the flow at 3.0 bar.
Cant understand why its affecting the heating of the cylinder, when the pressure is low, like above, are you still getting a reasonable flow from the hot taps.
When you "push" the pressure up manually, presumably by pumping up the air end? what pressure do you pump it to and does the pressure remain at this level when using hot water?.
Many Thanks for your reply. I will check this & come back to you.
cheers!

Just to update. Few weeks ago Engineer visited and house & he used a sealer for the heating system (There is no visible leak but this is to make sure)
But after week or so the pressure went down again. Now I understand that this pressure is the Boiler pressure. So this looks like nothing related to Hot water tank. The problem is with the Boiler it seems. Its a LOGIC HEAT 24 Boiler.

Hi all,

Wondering if you can help me with a similar issue please! I have a very similar system, but I think it's slightly different. I can't spot the 'two black valves' (or one value, one screw) anywhere...I don't want to start turning all the values next to the tank in case they're not right...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 96
Where does the silver coloured ,braided,flexible hose go to ?
It's on the right hand side ,connected to pipework ,but the other end is out of the picture.

Thanks for replying Terry! If you look at the first pic I think it goes into the white cylinder at the top?

So it does. There must be a similiar hose laying loose somewhere that can connect to the two valves with black handles.

Oh! Those two sitting in front of the big cylinder in picture 4? Should they be connected? (Thanks again for your time and help with this!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back