Range Tribune HE - constantly on???!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some help with our Range Tribune HE. Over the past 24 hours it has constantly been making an ON noise. By ON I mean the sound it makes if we turn the heating or hot water on, sort of a constant low rumble. Secondly the pipes are hot as well as the over flow radiator.

We have a gas boiler down stairs and the range cylinder up stairs. Everything is off, hot water, heating and the emersion all off. The pressure dial on the red canister is on 1. The hot water comes on automatic for an hour a day wile we leave the heating on manual, which, we have been using again over the last week.

I'm pretty confused about the whole thing to be honest. I thought the water was heated downstairs in the boiler and the Range was just a storage. Does the range itself heat the water?? What would be causing all the noise? Can I turn the power off to it?

And help would be amazing. I'm worried its on, producing hot water but it has no where to go.

Sponsored Links
Quick Update

I've had another look inside the boiler room and felt, what i think is the pump, vibrating.

I've twisted the knob on it which has stopped the noise.

Here is an image of what I think is the pump. It could be we have just some how knocked this wile putting something in the cupboard but I really dont know what setting this should be on by default.

Ls3nZKp.jpg

Also, if it is pumping the water out surly the tank would run out of hot water and cool over a period of time?

I suspect one of your 2port zone valves is faulty. all you've done is to turn the pump speed selector so as to turn off the pump. The fault needs correct diagnosis. If you don't feel capable enough to do the tests, call a professional who will fix that in a short time.

So really its just an issue with the pump being faulty? Its 2 years old now, is that pretty normal for a pump to only last 2 years?

What should we do in the mean time? When should we turn the pump on and off? :S

Sponsored Links
Read my post again. It's not the pump. I suspect one of your zone valves is keeping the pump going.

No your pump is ok, the problem is probably one of the zone valves sticking, you can see one in the picture you posted and the body of another at the top of the pic, you really need to get someone to look at it for you as you seem a bit lost.

Ha yea very lost :) No doubt about that!

The biggest issue was it just didnt seem to be turning off. Flicking the switch on the pump seems to have fixed that for now and we will look into getting someone in to fix it ASAP.

In the mean time will we need to keep turning the pump on and off to get the hot water flowing around the house. For showers, washing up and general heating?

Thanks for the help BTW - its been very quick

It was a problem with one of the electronic valves. Its just been replaced and is now working fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back