Ration booklets for fuel in early 70s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone remember ration booklets being issued for petrol/diesel in early 70s ?.
I think the rationing was 4 gallons a week-per car.
At that time I had 2 cars
1/ a Bond Equipe-- 1256 cc--based on Triumph chassis and mechanics
2/ A Mk 1 Jag- 2.4 in white-- (a real chick puller).

I got 2 ration booklets.
However- the scheme was abandoned -due to a change in economic situation in UK.
I think it was something to do with Suez crises too.
Also remember a voluntary 50mph speed limit .

I think I still have my booklets-- at my mothers house amongst some old junk.

Sponsored Links
I remember rationing in the '50s which was when I was learning to drive which was actually to my advantage. Because of the fuel shortage driving tests were suspended but if you already had a provisional license you were allowed to drive unaccompanied. I did:cool: after that they couldn't really fail you - well they didn't me.

We were allowed some extra fuel for business use, I was a TV engineer so needed a vehicle, but you could get additional coupons - at a price, from people who had a licensed car or bike that they were not using, don't know if it was strictly legal though.

Peter

I had a set for my Daimler SP250 [aka the Dart; a sports car]. This was just into the the biggest engine range at 2.5 litres, which would have been OK as it was fairly economical if you drove it gently. As far as I remember, I left them with the car when I sold it. Rationing was not actually introduced, as the crisis passed. It was quite a shock at the time, petrol went from 33 pence per gallon to over 50 pence, and soon it was over one pound - three times what it was a few months earlier.

I remember having a booklet issued for my bike at the time, an MZ250. They must have been issued sometime between September '73 and Sept '75 because that's when I had the bike. I've still got it somewhere I think, but haven't seen it for years.
As already said the price jumped right up around that time. rationed by price I reckon.

Sponsored Links
I remember the daimler Dart, a small car with a large engine and fast I believe:cool:

When petrol was rationed in the '50s it was about 5/- per gallon or 25p if there are any youngsters on here, it went up to 6/- in the late '50s. Sounds good but I was only earning £5.00 per week.

Peter

I had a part time job on a petrol station in 70-71. Five star was 6 bob a gallon then. There was (IIRC) a (old) penny difference between the grades on the four pumps. That would have made two star 5/9. On the old "clock dial" pumps. No unleaded or diesel.

I was 16 and still at school. Had an Ariel "Colt" 200cc.
A Daimler Dart was something a bit special!

Used to fill up my Zephyre 4 for £3. 16 shillings .

I also remember older guys i worked with saying - if petrol gets above 10 bob a gallon- they will stop driving !!. :)

Just as a further measure of inflation, I paid more in tax last year than I paid for my first house in 1972.

Seeing that we have drifted a bit off topic, when we moved into this house in 1970 our rates for the year were £25.00, now?.... £2500.00! and we are on a state pension, that's most of my wife's.

Can I hear violins?

Peter

Seeing that we have drifted a bit off topic, when we moved into this house in 1970 our rates for the year were £25.00, now?.... £2500.00! and we are on a state pension, that's most of my wife's.

Can I hear violins?

Peter

Funny I didn't think wages are 100 times what they were in 1970. . .
Don't get me started on the council tax!

Back (nearly) on topic. I've often wondered what the justification is for the heavy duties imposed on fuel for road vehicles. It's not as if personal vehicles are really considered to be the "luxury" they once were.

It used to be called 'road tax' because that's what it was supposed to be used for, then 'road fund license' now government fund license.

Peter

It used to be called 'road tax' because that's what it was supposed to be used for, then 'road fund license' now government fund license.

Peter

"Government fund" license. I like that. :)
Of course they also use it as a stick to beat the "carbon footprint" drum with while they fly around the world doing important government stuff. . .

Anyone remember ration booklets being issued for petrol/diesel in early 70s ?.
I think the rationing was 4 gallons a week-per car.
Also remember a voluntary 50mph speed limit .

I think I still have my booklets-- at my mothers house amongst some old junk.
I remember it ;) - that speed limit wasn`t voluntary - the old bill pulled me , and as I was driving my knackered 1200 cc Mk. 1 ford cortina , I said to him I couldn`t have been doing more than 60 - that`s all it would do flat out :p

I had a part time job on a petrol station in 70-71. Five star was 6 bob a gallon then.
Interesting - I used to do the same part time job in `69 - forgot the prices . I worked out a gallon of diesel now is £6.50 so a rough comparison is you need £1 now to buy what a shilling bought in 1970 :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back