Rats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, not exactly a gardening question, but it applies in my garden / garage, and I bet someone here knows the answer.

I have rats in my garden and garage. They're probably attracted by bird seed/nuts that I put out on birdtables and other feeders (although the rest of the food is stored safely in the house, where rats can't get it - i.e. I'm not storing it in the garage, so I'm not sure whether the rats are just sheltering/nesting in there). I enjoy feeding the birds, and at this time of year, would prefer not to stop.

I have two dogs which will eat *anything* they find in the garden, including rat poison and dead, poisoned rats. I'm slightly on the squeamish side when it comes to traps, and the fact that I'm often away for days on end presents a few problems there, too.

That leaves me with the option of ultra-sonic "rat scarers". Let me guess: They don't work, right? If anyone knows of a type that does work, just in the confined space of the garage would be fine, then I'd love to hear about it.

Otherwise my choices seem to be:

- Poison: Out of question due to pets.
- Traps: Not really, sometimes away for a long time leaving potentially trapped (dead or alive) rats isn't good.
- UltraSonic things: If they work.

Anyone have any other ideas?!

Thanks in advance.
Bratters.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, stop putting rat food out, that the birds then come to steal :LOL:

Its your fault, YOU MUST compromise.

you attract rats by storing and spilling bird food in the garage, and what makes you think that as the food is in the house the rats cant get at it!

I make no bones about it, we had a rat get in the house ( 3days before we got it, i have the pictures) he actually gnawed through some low voltage cable (garden lights) when the cable was no longer there he came in through the hole, rats are resourcefull

if you want no rats you must either stop feedding the birds and remove the bird feed.

or Use rat traps, not mouse traps as they are too small, keep thedogs out of the garden, put traps along side walls and in pairs (back to back) so it doesnt matter which we ha rat comes one trap will get him
like <> not << or side by side

Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify, the bird food is kept in the house - it's in a metal box with a fixed lid -I'm really pretty sure that no rat could ever get into it. But I could be wrong, of course...

*However*, I certainly take your points that it's the bird food in the garden (some of which gets dropped onto the ground, etc) that is attracting them to the area.

In the garden itself I don't particularly mind - it's the garage I'm trying to keep them out of (and again: there is *no* food of any sort stored in there, and never has been).

Looks like I'll need to stop bird-feeding :(

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Sponsored Links
tin> rats teeth, no problem :!:
(i am being serious) but dont get me wrong they dont just bite into tin as if they have "jaws" (bond film) they will continualy gnaw at it untill they get through, i have seen them gnaw through thick cables before now, so tin, no problem

onceyou have rats it doesnt stop there, yes the food helps, and no food also helps, but they have now found somewhere to live, put rat traps or poison out to be sure

You need a rat proof bird table/food station for a start..... up on legs with rat guards on legs. i once ahd arat run over my bare feet while in bed and persoanly i had no hesitiation with useing a trap to kill it and its mate.... Traps can be set in boxes, so the dead rat isnt exposed to being eaten by dogs etc. You could ask the local council who will have a pest control office.

Thanks for help everyone - I'll remove the food, which is clearly the main source of the problem, then lay a couple of traps in a week or two if the rats still decide to stay on.

I was hoping someone was going to say, "yeah, those ultrasonic things are great, that'll solve the whole problem straight away", but I *did* know that was wishful thinking... :confused:

lay the traps now, just becuase you may not see them does not meen to say they are not their, and believe it or not you can get rat traps from b & Q but make sure you get rat traps, not mouse traps, and as sidecar_john said you could make boxes or "tunnels" to put the traps in, and as for bait, i found a slice of a mars bar or a segment of a satsuma to be very good

one would think "ultrasonics" would do little for the poor old dogs either

Don't know - I've seen some that claim to be "pet friendly" (not rodent-pets, obviously, but we haven't got any of those). But I'm taking the whole ultra-sonic thing with a bit of a pinch of salt, to be honest. Will stop birdfeeding, and set traps.

Thanks again for the help and ideas.

Have you ever caught your *******s in a rat trap :?: :LOL:

seen a bloke do that on tv, he does it on purpose (makes you wince at the thought)

:mad: :mad: Old Time cure for rats........ broken glass round their nest entrance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back