Rats

Seeing the mess the birds make, I'm not sure that any feeder design could prevent that. Plus we also have a low-level table for ground feeding birds.

And yes, I am fully aware that what we are doing to feed birds is also providing an eat-all-you-can buffet for Ratty. But we've been feeding them for years, and haven't had rats all that time.
I do think it's a bit sad for the rats to get killed in such a horrible fashion for just trying to eat and survive. I understand that you don't want rats hanging around, but it doesn't understand that the food you put out isn't meant for it!
Is it worth reconsidering the way you feed the birds? Rats will more than likely climb up the feeders at night anyway, being more nocturnal in habit. I was thinking of something like a bird-seed catcher, good for hanging feeders, something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAPELWOO...RS-/121707965054?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

To try and stop the temptation for ratty while still enjoying our feathered friends is surely a good move for all? :) The other thing is to bring food in at night...

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I do think it's a bit sad for the rats to get killed in such a horrible fashion for just trying to eat and survive.
It is, but TINA.

I was thinking of something like a bird-seed catcher, good for hanging feeders, something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAPELWOO...RS-/121707965054?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
Even if that did do what is claimed (and if it does it would be the first "xxx-proof" or whatever bird feeding accessory which did), I can immediately see two problems.

1. It's large enough to allow pigeons to land on it, and hey presto, it and the feeder tip up and seeds fall out.
  2. Squirrels will try to sit on it, or will pull it towards them, and hey presto, it and the feeder tip up and seeds fall out.

And what about the ground table?

To try and stop the temptation for ratty while still enjoying our feathered friends is surely a good move for all? :)
It would be, but....

The other thing is to bring food in at night...
  1. Unrealistic.
  2. Ratty is quite happy running around during the day.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You mention squirrels and pigeons being a problem then talk about your ground feeder.... Oh ok then......! I think you are missing the point somewhat. The idea is to minimise the amount spilled to discourage so to change the feeders would be a better bet no?
The seed catcher is an idea that was given by the RSPB so I thought I would mention it. I think you will probably just keep going on a circle of killing rats and other innocent creatures in a horrid way if you did'nt try to help things along, esp as living in a city. If you are happy then so be it.

Generally speaking, you get rats where there is a food source for them. Bird feed is a usual culprit, whether put out for garden birds, or chicken feed if you keep chickens. Personally I'd prefer to deal with the problem at source, by removing the food (difficult if the rats are being attracted by food provided by someone else). The available rodent poison kills over several days, over which the animal dies from internal bleeding.

Sponsored Links
You mention squirrels and pigeons being a problem then talk about your ground feeder....
They aren't a problem. OK - we'd rather squirrels didn't come and scoff so much, but we aren't exactly overrun by them, and they can be entertaining to watch.

But it's because of squirrels and pigeons (magpies too might be an issue) that I fear those catchers will do no good.

Oh ok then......! I think you are missing the point somewhat. The idea is to minimise the amount spilled to discourage so to change the feeders would be a better bet no?
Did you miss the point that we'd had bird feeders for years without any rats?

The seed catcher is an idea that was given by the RSPB so I thought I would mention it.
Will that be the same RSPB which sells these http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=ground, which you seem to be against?

I think you will probably just keep going on a circle of killing rats and other innocent creatures in a horrid way if you did'nt try to help things along, esp as living in a city. If you are happy then so be it.
No - this is our first attempt.

If we appear to have got rid of the current population, and I block up the entrance to the lair, and see no signs of a new one being dug, we will resume bird feeding.

If the rats keep coming back (OOI, does anybody know how far they range when foraging?) then we will have to reconsider.

Generally speaking, you get rats where there is a food source for them. Bird feed is a usual culprit, whether put out for garden birds, or chicken feed if you keep chickens. Personally I'd prefer to deal with the problem at source, by removing the food (difficult if the rats are being attracted by food provided by someone else). The available rodent poison kills over several days, over which the animal dies from internal bleeding.
If ultimately we cannot feed birds and be rat-free (as we were for many years) then we will have to permanently remove the food source. Permanently putting down rat poison isn't on.

But stopping feeding the birds will be a last, and sad, resort.

Am not against anything, BAN - you seem to misunderstand me!! Ground feeders are fine, but you're the one who's saying there's a problem with rats no? I was just trying to come up with some idea's to help you discourage the things, that's all. The RSPB idea was given as a solution to rats, sorry you disliked it so much.

I didn't miss the point over you not having rats before, but it could be a case of that you just didn't notice or there weren't as many. They are always going to attracted to a free feed so I would imagine you'll have em again for sure. You're in London, isn't there a saying that we're not more than a meter from a rat at any given time or something? Just not hard to imagine that you'll have an ongoing problem.

I too love to feed the birds, but I just tried to sort things out. We had a problem with pigeons emptying a hanging house (similar to the top of your table) for example so I tied strong wire so it stuck out in various angles so the pigeons could no longer get to the food but the little birds were ok. Sure, doesn't look pretty but it stopped the big birds and stopped their poop everywhere! I guess I like to problem solve before I give up feeding the little birds and am sorry you didn't like my ideas or those of the RSPB. Anyway, good luck with it all.

It's not that I dislike the idea of catchers - if they worked I'd be delighted. I just don't think they would, that's all, for the reasons I gave. Apologies for misunderstanding you re the ground table.

I think it's no more than 6' from a rat, but I think that means in Central London. Maybe we did always have them coming into the garden at night, but ever noticed until they took up residence, that was partly why I wondered how far they range in search of food.

We don't actually use the top of the table for food - all the pigeons get is what their smaller chums dislodge from the hanging feeders. We used to get lots (the feral, 'rock dove' type) - they'd sit on the house roof waiting for food to go on the ground table, and then descend en masse. We got a wire cage to go over it (like an upturned shopping basket), so small birds can get in (magpies can just manage it, if they get the angle right), and they departed. What we get now are wood pigeons, and I don't mind them. In fact, as they get plumper and plumper, the more my thoughts turn to getting an air rifle - I'll show them who's top of their food chain apart from sparrowhawks :mrgreen:

Find someone who owns ferrets and get some used bedding to hang in nets in strategic places - either that or consider getting a ferret to keep in a hutch outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links