Rat problem, dog poop

S

sodthisforfun

Our next door neighbour doesn't clean up dogs mess, talking 40-50 turds all over their yard and then occasionally gets scooped up into a pile under a hedge in their garden. They also throw their rubbish out in the garden until bin day when it gets shoved outside their gates. They are council tenants and after I had a friendly word with them about 3 years ago I was met with hostility, I contacted the council housing dept who asked them to clean it up by letter. They still don't.

The rats are getting out of control now, last summer we filmed 5 in the day eating out of the rat poison houses we put in our garden, right by our feet. It cost us a fortune in rat poison, £50 worth was eaten in just 2 months as there were that many. We keep our garden clear, rubbish is in bins with clip down lids but the rats can still get into our garden and have seen them climb our 6ft fence.

We are currently experiencing the 4th dead rat under the floor smell since Christmas alone, having had the smell most of last summer. Blocked everything that leads under our house as we can but under the house is shared with neighbouring properties too so we can't block the lot.

I had another word with them last night and again, was met with denial and hostility. I don't know if they think I am blind or something but can see the turds & rubbish with my own eyes.

My better half doesn't want to cause friction with the neighbours but I am tired of the smell of decaying rats in my house and freezing my *******s off with the windows open all the time. I want to report them to environmental health. I hear they take things more seriously than the council housing dept who are in charge of the tenants. Am I dealing with it the right way? Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Yes do it, get in touch with environment agency. One might argue that if you didn't poison the rats, they wouldn't end up dead under your floorboards... All that dog sh1t lying around is a health hazard in itself though, never mind the rats it attracts. Does the under-floor space of your house go into the next door house too? Are council tennants permitted to keep dogs - and if so, what are the conditions of ownership?

Nozzle

Thanks Nozzle, I do think I have little option left and it is a pity. There are six old houses connected and all of them have shared space underneath, the lofts too are open to each other partially. No idea on pets but should imagine they are ok to be kept. I get what you are saying with conditions, hopefully environmental health will sort that end of it and insist they look after their pet and property better.
We used to get their dogs old slimy turds running into our garden under the fence with heavy rain and when they used a hose to wash it down. I asked them to stop it then and they denied their dog mess when into my garden and shut the door in my face. We've since put new fences up with concrete bases. Ridiculous couple, young child too.

I want to report them to environmental health.

Sorry to be blunt, but you've got issues with the neighbours already, so why haven't you contacted EH already. You're either going to carry on putting up with the shyte (dog and attitude), or you're going to get a backbone, and throw everything you can at them - even throwing their shyte and dead rats back in their garden.

Attack is often the best form of defence, and at the minute, they've got you on the run.

Saw one post recently that suggested freezing it, and putting it back through their letter box - might be going a bit too far, but interesting idea if you've got the balls for it.

Sponsored Links
No worries. Personally I don't give two hoots who I pee off, been trying to keep the peace to keep the other half happy. We live in a fairly very small area where everyone knows each other and for the most everyone gets along well. I can understand trying to preserve that.
Thanks for the post tho, I will show the other half :)

I can now see where you're coming from. Best of luck - both with her, and the sodding selfish thoughtless neighbours.

Not that I'm trying to justify your neighbours behaviour, maybe just add some balance to the thread.

Your problem isn't the dog mess or their lack of tidiness. Its dead rats under your floor and presumably alive ones running all over the place. You could have the best neighbours in the world, but still have the same problem. Focus on that, not who or what you think is to blame. Bottom line is that something needs done differently to what's being done just now.

Can you set loads of traps instead of poisoning the rats? If you approach EH with a "help me sort the problem" rather than "do something about my neighbours" you could win on all fronts.

Just a thought

Graeme

Not that I'm trying to justify your neighbours behaviour, maybe just add some balance to the thread.

Your problem isn't the dog mess or their lack of tidiness. Its dead rats under your floor and presumably alive ones running all over the place. You could have the best neighbours in the world, but still have the same problem. Focus on that, not who or what you think is to blame. Bottom line is that something needs done differently to what's being done just now.

Can you set loads of traps instead of poisoning the rats? If you approach EH with a "help me sort the problem" rather than "do something about my neighbours" you could win on all fronts.

Just a thought

Graeme
I would like to keep the peace, that's why I've been careful how to handle it up to now. My neighbours absolutely refuse to help us all out despite everything you read about keeping gardens clear and clean to stop attracting rats in the first place. Am not sure how you manage to separate the mess next door, surely it's cause and effect?

Another neighbour has been here for 43 years and said she'd never seen a rat until the few years, after they moved in. Last summer was rife, they were running along all our garden fences, broad daylight. Everyone was upset about it, including the messy ones but yet they didn't take a hint. Everyone else is careful with rubbish and the other two dog owners clean up instantly. It may be a coincidence but I don't think so.

Yes, the rats, who started off nesting in next doors garden where the poop and rubbish are, started to nest under our house where we had a small hole where the fence joined the house. We blocked it but they still are getting in somewhere else. But it is us and the neighbour the other side to us who are suffering the stench.

I cannot use traps because there are, or certainly were last summer, just too many rats to trap. I cannot have a garden full of 50-odd traps can I? Cost a fortune for starters and they probably breed faster than I could catch them!

most council tenancies have a "don't **** off the neighbours " clause.
The offenders should get a polite warning and reminder that the tenancy can be withdrawn
That's good to know, thankyou. I wouldn't want them chucked out, I just want them to to be decent to their neighbours and their own dog!

I wouldn't want them chucked out

I would; this type of neighbour couldn't give a damn about anyone else; they'll always consider you at fault, simply for not letting them do as they want. EH will have a battle with them, but they'll just start up some other "I'm allowed to do what I like" game if you beat them over this one.

most council tenancies have a "don't **** off the neighbours " clause.
The offenders should get a polite warning and reminder that the tenancy can be withdrawn

Good luck with that one!, I had to fall out with next door to get them to clean up the sh1thole mess of a front garden.

Basically you've got to look out for yourself unfortunately..

I would; this type of neighbour couldn't give a damn about anyone else; they'll always consider you at fault, simply for not letting them do as they want. EH will have a battle with them, but they'll just start up some other "I'm allowed to do what I like" game if you beat them over this one.
The better half calls them the 'entitled generation'...hmm

Just a thought

Graeme

Having had problems with neighbours and their dogs and chickens, 12 of then big grey buggers, in two very small hamster runs, (thats the chickens not the dogs or the neighbours) Bilabong's post is a load of rubbish. To the OP throw everything you can at them including their dog crap. Pester the council every day till they do something. Pester Enviromental Health as well. My d**k head neighbours finally moved away. Whether I had anything to do with that I know not and care even less.

Sounds a bit cruel having that many chickens like that. Delighted that they left and moved away, thank goodness!

If I could get hold of their dog crap, or the dead rats I would chuck em back over the fence with a huge smile on my face but the little blighters seem to like to die under the house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back