RAVENHEAT 820/20T FANNED COMBI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no complaints with the above, a damned good combi-boiler in my opinion, a problem has raised its head over the last week, when I demand hot water the boiler is very reluctant to fire up, this evening I waited for ages to obtain some hot water, in the end I turned up the CH thermostat the boiler jumped into life straight away, I turned the CH thermostat down the boiler remained lit and I was able to obtain hot water.

Any ideas what might be causing the problem ?

Cheers,

Steve

Sponsored Links
hi steve firstly is the pilot on???? and is the fan running at slow speed this need sto run to maintain air in the combustion chamber to keep the pilot alight over a period
When you push the gas valve in does the fan run at the fast speed ????
if it does then the ignighter will start up and light the pilot when you release the grey knob it should stay on and the fan go back to slow speed,
if the pilot does not stay on then it will be the thermal coupling its coupled with the overheat stat which do go faulty,
If there is no spark at all then it can be the ignition module or the pcb that opperates it,
and also the air pressure switch will also stop the ignition from working
dont forget there is a microswitch on the rear of the diverter valve wit 2 micro switches on it 1 for the water 1 for the heating
and the diaphrams are a a common fault on these boilers
that will stop the water from firing up but should not affect the heating
the clock and room stat if fitted control the heating,
the water is via the permanent live to the boiler,
This is not a job for the d i y as to many tests need to be carried out

mick

Hi Mick......thanks for the reply. Yes, the pilot light is lit and the fan is running at slow speed and when I depress the gas valve it runs at the fast speed.

A job for the experts I take it, any idea of the cost of repair ?

Many thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
hi steve its difficult to estimate the cost of a job like that as someone needs to check out why its not bringing the main gas on when calling for water or heating and its a matter of elimination it is not possible to give you the info on what is wrong with it as not a job for d i y,
If you ring ravenheat on 0113 2527007 they will tell you if they have an engineer in your area that has been on their service and repair courses as i have , but i only cover leicestershire
best of luck mick

Mick.....many thanks for the advice. I was considering taking out a British Gas boiler insurance, costs somewhere in the region of £10 a month, that way I would avoid being hit with a £100 plus bill for repair, which I can ill afford at the moment, presuming of course the BG engineers will be familiar with this particular boiler......or do you think this is not a particularly good idea....?...

Many thanks,

Steve

Mick.....see response from Ravenheat:

Thank you for your enquiry. Ravenheat charge a standard service charge of £82.25 including vat for a service which should last 45 minutes - an hour. After the first hour, service fees are £30 per half hour thereafter plus cost of parts plus vat.

Certainly no way, I can afford Ravenheat.

Kind regards,

Steve

An electrical friend came round and tracked down the problem to a faulty relay, which is an the integral part of the PCB(5021160).....a new PCB purchased via ebay for £49.......thank God for ebay, I now have an inexpensive repair and am not faced with a huge repair bill......an END TO CALL OUT FEES I say....!!!

hi well thats for their own engineers to come out which is most unusual they normally give you at least 3 local to you engineers numbers and never quote money, as that down to the self employed engineer,
they must be short of work as they normally only do warrenty work
so they must have changed their way of working,
ime glad you got it sorted, one thing i must point out to you is that on the new board is a potentiometer that sets up the required gas settings for your load requirements and to do that you will need a gas safe engineer,
The electrician will not be able to do this as it needs a manometer on the gas valve so its set up properly
otherwise it may be set to low on the new board from the manufactures, or it could be set to high then it could cost you a lot more to run just to say this is why we as engineers are qualified to do gas work and sort ot electrical problems on boilers
Electricians are qualified to carry out all types of electrical instalations etc
a good engineer would have come up with the same prognosis
and perhaps supplied a new board and set it up properly
so ask the electrician if he realalizes that it has to be set up its not just a throw in a new board job on this model 8/20/20t
Ps on a new boiler from the factory they are normally set at 56,000 btus or 17.5 kw this is on the heating only making the boiler range rated so you can range it from that up to 8.1 mbar that will give max to the heating but as i say it needs to be done by a gas safe engineer.
So if you have fitted it yourself just be aware if it starts making funny noises as though it boiling and kettling
next time you have it serviced if you do get him to range rate it for you
dont think i am preaching to you but those are the rules that we as engineers must keep to so you the customer are safe to use the appliance mick

mick

Many thanks, Mick.....am very grateful for your assistance and comments, I will have the potentiometer on the new PCB set up by a qualified engineer, thank you once again for pointing out this crucial safety factor.

Kindest regards,

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back