Ravenheat 820 Room Stat installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a Ravenheat 820 combi boiler I inherited with the house we bought about 6 months ago. I would like to install a room stat (standard manual will be fine), but I'm confused about what exactly I need to buy.

Reading this thread;

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=425531&sid=b6019b9d91af370d5d71be848bd13b1e

I can see that there are two connectors, I've located these in my boiler, that bit is OK.

What sort of stat do I need to connect to this, and does it need a separate mains feed?

I've seen a Drayton RTS8 at B&Q which claims to fit all combi boilers, is this the case?

Do I simply run a single 2-core wire connecting the two poles at the boiler to the 2 poles on the stat?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi Again all,

Apologies for my impatience, but I wouldn't mind some input on this ASAP if anyone has any advice!

Cheers

Yes, run a 2 core cable. one end to the 2 connections in the boiler, the other end to L (Live) and 2 in the stat.

Its just a simple switch.

Obviously, you need to remove the link between the 2 terminals on the boiler.

Thanks for that

Is anyone able to recommend a thermostat? Any volt-free ones I'm able to find are electronic sensing type which seem to need a mains feed! (Drayton RST4 for example)

Sponsored Links
RTS 8 doesn't seem to be volt-free, from the website;

Switch type S.P.S.T

As I understand, S.P.D.T is volt-free?

I suppose if there's no mains-feed (i.e mechanical operation) it's volt-free by nature?

Having just found the RTS8 manual, it does list my boiler in the compatibility list!

It is volt free. Its about as simple a stat as you can get. One wire in, through the stat (switch) and back out to the boiler.

If you just want a basic stat, this will do fine.

I have fitted the rts8 as described above today. I connected connection c to live in the stat and d to 2 in the stat. Everything worked fine for a couple of hours but then stopped working. The stat is still feintly clicking but not firing the boiler up. Replaced the link in the boiler and it fired up straight away. What do you think?? Surely not a faulty stat. What are the chances?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back