ravenheat boiler woes

pep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have budgeted to replace my ravenheat combi next spring.
However, I think I have a problem with the expansion vessel, the pressure rises to 3 bar from 1 when the c h is put on then the prv lets water drip out . when the system is cold the bar reads 0.
Is it safe to keep topping up for this winter ?
No pressure drop problems in the summer when the ch is not used.
I have 15 radiators in the house.
Can anyone recommend a good quality make/model for my requirements.

Sponsored Links
It does sound like your expansion vessel is faulty. you can check previous post's on this subject. Every plumber will give you different advise on boiler's I use Worcester Bosch Greenstar's and had no trouble but its a minefield out there :LOL:

Thanks for youe reply.
I can see from previous posts that the expansion vessel needs (depending on make) beetwen .5-1 bar of pressure pumped into it.
I am mechanically minded so I am trying to get a clear picture in my mind of how the boiler works.
Am I right in thinking that the expansion vessel is 'somewhere' for the water to go when everything hots up ?(expands)
Should it empty itself back into the boiler when cooling ?
By pumping air into it, does this aid this procedure ?
As I have stated, I am hoping to change it in the spring.(THE BOILER)
Would adding an extra (external) expansion vessel be a good idea (£)
to see me through the winter, if putting air into the original (which is almost impossible to get at) is not the answer ?
Also am I right in thinking that to check the pressure in the expansion vessel, the boiler would have to be cold and the pressure on the boiler gauge at 0 bar ?
Would I at this point expect to have water in the ex vessel ?
Thanks in advance for any further insight/advice.

Yes you are correct regarding E vessel. fitting an external one is a good idea. and no you shouldn't have water at air valve on E vessel THere is a Diaphgram that keeps the water seperated from the air Its only when the diapraghm rupters that you get water at air valve

Sponsored Links
pep said:
Also am I right in thinking that to check the pressure in the expansion vessel, the boiler would have to be cold and the pressure on the boiler gauge at 0 bar ?
Smart kid! Yes, you're right.

The usual way to get boiler pressure down to 0 is to close isolating valves below boiler and drain the boiler, leaving drain point open. You can then check the EV pressure with a gauge that fits the schrader valve, and pump it up with a bicycle pump.

If the boiler is the highest point in the system, you do not need to close isolating valves. It should be noted that there is a danger of old isolating valves developing a leak if disturbed.

Thanks to both of you for your input.
I think I will go for fitting an auxiliary ex vessel as when I pressed the needle in the valve it did start to drip.
Can I purchase a universal one ? (non Ravenheat)
Do I need to isolate the original ?
What cost approx are they ?
One last question.
When I purchase my new boiler next year, what would be the ideal btu output to service 16 rads ?
We also have two bathrooms and a downstairs toilet/sink.
I can't see the demand for hot water coming from more than one point simultaneously very often.
However, I do have a mixer shower in one bathroom (the other is electric)
so it may happen occasionally.
Again thanks in advance for any light that is shed......

Can I purchase a universal one ? - YES, you need 8 litres (standard size) with mounting bracket. Normally cylindrical (near spherical) shape, unless you need it to squeeze into narrow gap or something.

Do I need to isolate the original ? - NO, unless it is leaking water.

What cost approx are they ? - see BES mail order site. Probably £20 including bracket.

When I purchase my new boiler next year, what would be the ideal btu output to service 16 rads ? - output of combi boiler is determined by HW requirement. Heating load is rarely as much (work it out if you like). Suggest 28 kW output for about 11 litres/minute HW flow, although 24 kW would do.

I would say 16 rads is a lot for a standard vessel and would be inclined to get one slightly larger. Theres less than £2 basic price difference between the 8, 12 and 18 litre vessels

Click here and search for pressure vessels

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back