Ravenheat HE120 Error Codes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We inherited a new looking Ravenheat HE120 boiler when we moved in to our house a year ago, but the radiators and pipework were ancient!

I've now replaced all the pipework (JG Speedfit) and fitted all new radiators (7 of). I also had the gas supply re-run to spec from the meter(it was previously an old connection and 15mm instead of the 22mm sugested for the final run to the boiler).

I can now get hot water, but if turned on and off quickly ( e.g. a blast of hot water to top up the bath) I get error code 04 (overheat temperature).

I can also get central heating (manually or from timeclock) but it frequently (not always) gives me error 14 flashing alternately with the central heating temperature on the display.
Turning off a hot water tap whilst the heating is on can also bring up error 14, but not error 4.

The pressure is generally OK - around 1- 1.5bar and hasn't over-pressurised, although I have lost pressure a couple of times with leaks at the new pipework.

Does this sound like air still in the system - I'm not convinced that I've fully vented the boiler after refilling - or does anybody have a clearer idea of what the error codes are actually referring to?

Sponsored Links
Error codes are only a guide as the boiler only has very limited intelligence to know whats going on.

In your case it may well still be air in the boiler.

There should be an auto air vent in the boiler. Is the cap on that gently loose?

Tony

The auto-vent is what makes me think that there may be trapped air. It's very hard to access - I had to take off the front and side panels to get to it - and once there it's a finger tip job to turn .
I was concerned that I wasn't clear on what the error codes were pointing towards especially error 14 "Flame Simulation On The Flame Control Unit" certainly try again with the vent though.
It's good to know that I'm hopefully looking in the right direction!

Sponsored Links
OK, so I had another look at the auto vent this afternoon.
On my Ravenheat this is opened via one full turn of a small grey knob, opened on installation and left open from that point onwards.
I turned the knob clockwise for what felt like a wee bit more than the one turn to close it fully, then marked it and turned it back on one full turn.
Everything seems to work - to a certain extent. I can still get hot water, still get central heating, but am also still getting Error 14 Flame Simulation on Flame Control Unit when I run both together and then turn off the hot water at the tap.
I can only see one other reference to Error 14 on the forum and that was about 3yrs ago! Has anyone got any further thoughts on this error, or is it perhaps time to call in a professional for a look?

Thanks for your help so far.

Had a little Experience of code 14 and this was resovled by replacing The White ign box and leads to spark electrode and flame dectection probe.(as recommended by ravenheat tech dept)

It sits inside of the combustion chamber and is defo a job for an engineer.

Older models have this box sitting horizontal postion (which is subject to any leaks! and trust me there will be leaks from this boiler! (Ravenleak)

Newer models have this box sitting vertically which saves it from leaks!

As for the auto air vent it sits behind the pump housing on this model and is plastic!

Gud luck

I would suggest u get an engineer who isnt scared of ravenheats!

I do have to say the nature of the fault indicates a possible faulty ignition PCB.

However as these are quite expensive the gas registered engineer would check a couple of other settings first.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back