Ravenheat RSF 84ET combi CH problem

mwk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Ravenheat RSF 84ET combi not working at all [no activity] when switching to CH. No warning lights coming on, and the lamp for the switch does illuminate when switched to CH/DHW.

DHW works whether it's on DHW only or CH/DHW.........

central heating pressure is currently at around 2.5 bar

We had this problem some months back, the thing started working again after we left alone for a few days. Go figure.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
hi there are several things that can go wrong with the model as you say the boiler is working on the water then 80% of the boiler is ok
The first thing to check is the electronic clock even when the light is on it does not mean the inside is switching over and the heating is totally controled by the clock calling for heat and providing the room stat is ok (if you have one) it should normally work??? it can be bypassed but it can be quite a job if your not electrically minded
2 other things it can be the heating sensor or the micro switch on the diverter valve
but i would check out the clock first i have replaced dozens of them
i used to be an out of warrenty engineer for ravenheat

hi there are several things that can go wrong with the model as you say the boiler is working on the water then 80% of the boiler is ok
The first thing to check is the electronic clock even when the light is on it does not mean the inside is switching over and the heating is totally controled by the clock calling for heat and providing the room stat is ok (if you have one) it should normally work??? it can be bypassed but it can be quite a job if your not electrically minded
2 other things it can be the heating sensor or the micro switch on the diverter valve
but i would check out the clock first i have replaced dozens of them
i used to be an out of warrenty engineer for ravenheat

Mick, Hi

Thanks for the response.

There are no room thermostats we are currently operating the boiler purely from the summer/winter switch on the boiler itself....the clock/timer we've always set it to ON rather than AUTO position.

Just to give you some further info......previously the CH pressure had been on around the 1.5 mark rising to 2 and just above when the heating was on, it would normally drop back down toward 1 as it cooled and in particular overnight when the heating wasn't in use. Would have to increase the pressure after it dropped below 1 bar normally once a month depending on how often the CH was being used. Recently the CH pressure has been steady at just under 2.5 bar when cold rising close to 3 bar when operational and the boiler itself wasn't allowing it to go over 3bar. There don't appear to be any airlocks in any of the rads and so i can't reduce the cH pressure through bleeding air from the rads.

In your experience with this boiler and a sealed system what is the best way to reduce the pressure down to optimal operating pressure of minimum 1 bar....?

With regards to the clock/timer am i aiming to bypass this, if so how would i do that......is it merely a case of removing the clock or is there rerouriting/rewiring of wires required. Or as we don't have a room thermostat could it be a problem with the summer/winter switch ?

Sponsored Links
Hi regarding the presure in the boiler you have to release water out of the radiator on a rad somewhere near to the boiler when the system is not in use and cold
It will opperate at 0.5 bar but the ideal would be 1 bar at standby
regarding the clock
If you feel confident to carry out the bypass then its not to bad and is not dangerous

Turn off the mains at the isolation switch
drop down the panel
you will see the clock and on the back there is a label telling which connections are which
2 spade connectors are L and N to it the other 2 spade connectors are the switching out all that you need to do is to connect the 2 switching wires spades together that should do the same as the 24 hour mode but it does it manually instead of electronically
I used to do this a lot just to get boilers working again

It will not cause any problem with you summer or winter switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back