ravenheat rsf820/20t ch ok, no hw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ravenheat rsf820/20t ch ok, no hw.
We are talking no hw at all, can anyone give me a check list in order to find the fault as the manual only covers none working boiler.
happy New Year
Rob

Sponsored Links
probably the diverter valve many posts here on that topic

TY for that, I shall be sourcing and pricing the micro switch and test the valve while its off.
Rob

Much more likely to be the diaphragm inside the DV.
First find the DV and its microswitch. You should be able to see and hear the switch operate when the hw is drawn The diaphragm is in the big end with 6 screws round it.

Sponsored Links
I was going for the micro switch first as it wont light up when water is drawn off, would the diverter not operating also stop it from lighting?

oops its the diaphragm that operates the micro switch not vice-versa, and as there is no click then the valve is sus.
thanks Chris n Ollski

Hi

I have ravenheat with exactly the same symptoms. CH ok, and no hot water. Could you help me identify the parts you are refering to:

The Diverter valve: Is this the valve with 5 outputs and about 6 inches long and quite chunky?

The Microswitch: Is this the switch connected at the end of the Divertor valve and encased in a plastic box with two wires?

When I turn the hot water tap on, nothing happens at all. any ideas what the problem is ?

Thank

Yes you are looking at the right bit, a replacement was found at , ezypart , these had the best price when phoning ask about washers for it, as none came with it.
However, having got the thing to light after the replacement was fitted, it now seems that the gas flow modulater may be faulty as the burner refuses to go onto full while drawing off of the hot system, and there is continuity at the hw thermostat.
AND the clock has had to be bypassed as that has started breaking down as well. With this list of problems we are now considering a replacement boiler.

Thanks Mario_kin.

I tested the microswitch manually by pressing the tiny button using a long and thin screwdriver. The boiler fired up and I then turned the hot water on whilst keeping the microswitch button manually switched on. But the water stayed cold.

So, If the DV is faulty, I need to know why the water does not get heated when I switch the microswitch manually.

Thanks

The valve is a diverter, it diverts the the cold feed to the boiler through the primary/secondary heat exchanger, where it heats and comes out of the h/w flow pipe.In doing so it operates the micro switch, telling the gas valve there is a need for heat

If it is faulty it wont divert the water through.

That may not be accurate precisely but it is in essence.

ravenheat rsf820/20t ch ok, no hw.
We are talking no hw at all, can anyone give me a check list in order to find the fault as the manual only covers none working boiler.

Epilogue:

The diaphragm in the diverter valve was found to be perished, as foretold. Cheers Chris n Ollski.
However, when replaced, the timer failed. I mean broke down just before d/v was due to be replaced. Ever resourceful, the timer is bypassed, the heating was on again. But now when the h/w is called for the burner lights,but refuses to go into full mode. The modulater coil is suspect. A new one £108 , fitting, god knows, its a corgi job. but none are available for a fortnight.
So a gas valve, one of the worcester range is said to be compatible, price £150 + fitting.

A new boiler is due to be fitted tomorrow. £389 + fitting with a 12 month warranty.

I will not be a sadistic bestial necrophiliac (flog dead horses).

Moral:- If it aint broke dont fix it, but if it is.............throw the bl**y thing away.

Thanks Marios_kin again. I'll be hunting for a diverter valve for RFS100.
And good luck with your new boiler - hope you'll have years and years of life out of it.

regards

Ty. The link I used is above, a firm called ezypart. WAY cheaper than elsewhere. Good luck and hope you have more joy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back