Rawlplug suitable for compacted straw wall help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1960's ex council house here in Bedfordshire.

The inside of the external walls are made from compacted straw sheets.
The straw is about 4" thick faced with cardboard and a very thin plaster.

I want to put up some general purpose shelves and hope someone can advise me on which of the various types of Rawlplug would be most suitable?

A previous owner used metal Interset Cavity Fixings but I wondered if this is going over the top?

Thanks for looking,
Bern

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Invicta, Hi

Several things come to mind.
1/. How about using a similar fixing to the ones you mention? if they have worked historically then hey should work again?
2/. There is a previous post on this site, see the historic posts below? using some sort of Epoxy ?
3/. I have seen several posts that suggest the use of a device called a "Helicoil" these things are used when there is a stripped metal screw and the Helicoil is bored and tapped into the damaged area of something like an engine cylinder block, the coils are used when someone stripes a spark plug thread for example. But to use Helicoil in Stramit straw walls, I think you may need to go a wee bit further?

I believe that to use Helicoil, you would need to drill an oversized hole in the correct position, into the straw, pump it full of an Epoxy mortar, let the epoxy fully set then use the Helicoil drill and Tap to insert the Helicoil itself, into the centre of the Epoxy.

The rational behind all of this is that insertion of a plug of Epoxy will in effect grab a large area of the straw and dissipate the applied load within the matrix of the straw.

It is a possibility that Rawlplug, other companies that make fixings are available? may have a proven method and system that works in Straw?

If you can please let the board know how you get on?

Cheers.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back