Extension: Walls against raised garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm planning an extension to the back of our house. It will be a simple 3x6 orangery type extension. One side (3m) will be a party wall thus a full wall, the other side (3m) will be for a French door out into the garden, the long side (6m) will be 60% windows, this is also the side with the raised garden wall which is roughly 9 bricks (1m) off the ground.

I have 2 problems I would like any advice on;
1) the raised garden is currently held up by a solid brick wall, 2 brick thickness. Over he years is has built a large salt formation on the surface (suggesting water?). I would like to know what methods to build an extension wall against this raised area.
- I have been thinking, knock down the wall, have enough footing for another retaining wall and the extension wall with a gap between both walls.No tanking necessary as the retaining wall takes the water.
- another idea, build the extension like a semi basement. Apply tanking (ideally to the soil facing side, but doesn't look very practical unless all the earth was taken away and refilled after.

2) the other is not so much a problem, but more rather than a recommendation on what external wall type to build. There are many extensions being built in my area. Many builders are using single leaf 200mm HH Blocks (9 out of 10 extensions). I have a general understanding that Cavity wall with insulation between is generally recommended. I assume single leaf extensions are easier to build thus cheaper and just add internal/external insulation when done?

Thanks guys,

I have some pictures I'll upload shortly on the current state for reference purposes.

Sponsored Links
I'd definitely recommend building a seperate retaining wall unless you have no other choice eg. On a boundary etc.

The extra cost and potential risk of waterproofing and extra structural work will make it expensive anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back