Raised PLanter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a raised planter against my neighbours extension wall, whats the best way to waterproof their side. At the moment soil would be against it from about 40cm high to about 1m high and about 3m long, the bed will only be 30cm wide with a weep hole at one end.

Sponsored Links
Assuming its a house wall and not a garden wall you need their permission which i can't imagine they would give. Understandably

Assuming its a house wall and not a garden wall you need their permission which i can't imagine they would give. Understandably

Yes its a house wall where they have extended, assume i have permission and want to do it properly.

Sponsored Links
I can't imagine that your neighbours would ever be happy with you doing that unless they were stupid or very naive. Others would probably agree which is why you have no replies. Build your planter independently away from their wall.

I can't imagine that your neighbours would ever be happy with you doing that unless they were stupid or very naive. Others would probably agree which is why you have no replies. Build your planter independently away from their wall.

Apologies i thought it was a pretty straightforward thing, just wanted to do it properly as i have been advised to bitumen paint it first to tank it - i take it thats a no no?
How big a gap between their wall and the planter should i leave, any bigger than 150-200mm and i'm out of space. I was intending to put one end of the planter against my rendered wall is there any way of doing this safely, tanking etc.?

Having any soil (and with it continuous moisture/damp) permanently against the outer face of your neighbours wall is just wrong. Yes there are ways to mitigate the moisture from ever penetrating or damaging their wall but really any contact should be avoided in the first place. Leave a gap of say 25mm, they'll both be fine.

If its your wall then fine, some RIW or similar against the wall should be OK then that's your problem if ever there should be a problem (albeit unlikely but that's really not the point) but your neighbours wall no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back