Question On Packing Up Block Course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm building a couple of rectangular 3m x 0.6m planters on the front patio slab - only two block courses high.

One of the 3m sides in each planter sits on a stepped area about 50mm lower than the rest of the block work.

Would it be ok for me to lay the lower blocks on a normal cement bed and then shutter and pour a 50mm high concrete strip on top of the lower blocks to bring them up to level for the second/top course?

Or is there a better way to do it?

The whole lot will be capped and rendered when finished so any packing up will be unseen, but I don't want it all cracking apart in the first frost etc!

Cheers, Paul.

Sponsored Links
Easier to lay a course of bricks at the lower point and then cut a course of blocks to make up level.

Check on the Gardening forum - that shallow a depth of soil before hitting concrete or paving doesn't sound like a winning idea to me.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ban-All-Sheds,

Oh b***er, already went ahead this morning before reading your warning!

The solid concrete bases are 50mm higher at the back, running the full 3m length of each planter. The lower front edges run along the edge of the (currently unpaved) patio.

The lower brick courses suggested by Jeds above have weep holes between each brick, tied together with the cut block course on top. I plan to slurry (tank) the inside of each planter to prevent moisture bleeding through to the outside, and then fill the lower half with clean stone before the soil goes in. Hopefully any excess water will run down and out the front of each planter and over the edge of the patio onto the lawn.

I think I may put another course of blocks on top, as you say, they are a bit shallow.

Fingers crossed I haven't ballsed this one up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back