Rendering Aerated blocks for garden walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came across this whilst searching for mortar mixes and thought that my experiences may be helpful.
Two years ago I built some low planters (two blocks high with timber capping) and some linking walls up to 6 blocks high. These were rendered with a 5:1 sand cement mix 15mm thck in one coat. This coat was reinforced with chicken wire stapled to the blocks partly because as I was advised later, I was trying to put the render on too thick and needed the chicken wire to hold the mix on the wall. I wet the blocks before applying the render to stop the render drying too quickly and help with suction. I've rendered both sides and painted the outside with concrete paint and the inside with bituthene. I have weep holes low down just above the foundation and a dpc layer.

Anyway they have survived two winters and still look fantastic so I've just started building another planter where I had pots previously.

I will also use them to build a fish pond too.

Most experts say these blocks shouldn't be used in this fashion but as long as you waterproof and seal them they seem to be ok. How they last say in five years will be interesting.
However, for diy enthusiasts with limited time, money, and skills (all of us) this technique should not be over looked.

Sponsored Links
Good for you Millgreen, there are many things that if you went by the book would never be done. As you said, the chicken wire will help to key the render, or you could use galvanised wire lath. The block suction issue was overcome..... you're happy with the result, they've stood up to the weather so far,,,,, and good luck to ya...... You'll be building a bungalow next..... :LOL: ;)

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back