Seating area with Raised Pond & Planter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The wife wants a L shaped seating area with a raised pond & planter as backrest. All concrete rendered. (Damm you Pintrest!)

I've been doing some research & have been advised to use a single skin of 9" (215mm) or 6" (140mm) wide hollow blocks with rebar then filled in with concrete.

It's not huge, the raised back rest sections of the L are:-

Planter 1.2m x 0.6m x @0.9m (4 courses high) half filled with rubble & then soil
Bottom pond 1.8m x 0.6m x @0.9m (4 courses high) with max @ 1.2m3 of water
Top pond (corner) 0.6m x 0.6m x @1.2m (5 courses high) with max @ 0.25m3 of water

The seats are on the inside edges of the L shape, but are not too much of a structural concern as they will be wooden.

The top pond waterfalls down into the bottom pond. We can reduce the depth/volumes of the ponds to reduce lateral forces on the blockwork, but minimum depth needs to be 0.6m to give the fish a chance in winter!

For the footings, the site is on the patio, but a quick check shows it's made of concrete pavers 600mm x 600mm x 25mm with about a 100mm base of compacted aggregate. I've also got a 55mm height difference, so I'm going to have to level that out first.

I don't the think the patio as is, will be strong enough as a footing due to the compacted aggregate base.

Q1. Am I correct in thinking the patio won't cut it as a footing as I understand the min depth for a retaining wall footing should be at least 150mm deep?

Q2. I have to level out the footing, so would a concrete slab on top of the patio be strong enough? If so what depth as it will be >55mm to level out the site.

Q3. Or should I just pull up the patio & lay a 150mm deep footing!

Q4. For the rebars in the hollows, how deep do they need to be below the ground, I presume these are inserted after the blocks are laid & not cemented into the footings?

Q5. Any other suggestions on the construction will be welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back