Rawlplug/wall plug length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm refitting a hand rail/bannister to the brick wall going up my stairs. It's fairly heavy and I've bought some new brackets but the screws seem a bit short (30mm) so I was going to buy some 60mm number 8 screws and use wall plugs. There will be 4 brackets, each with 3 screws. I was wondering does it matter what length the wall plugs are? The ones I have to fit number 8 screws are only about 30mm long, plus the depth of the brackets which are roughly 5mm, means I'll have 25mm of the screw beyond the end of the wall plugs. Does this matter as I can't seem to find any longer plugs that will be suitable for a number 8 (4mm diameter) screw? I've seen some people suggest putting in 2 plugs on top of each other. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
In carppy Victorian brick a solution sometimes is to put two or three plugs down the 'ole, but for most clean holes a single snug-fitting plug suffices. At one time you could get long lengths of fibre or plastic plug which you simply cut to the required length. These have all but disappeared, I suspect because standard length plugs do the job 99% of the time providing they are pushed into the wall past the plasterwork

>>Snip<< I suspect because standard length plugs do the job 99% of the time providing they are pushed into the wall past the plasterwork
As J&K says push the plugs past the plasterwork. You want the plugs to hold in the brickwork not the plaster. That is the reason many people use 2 plugs with screws not really realising they only need to get a plug through the plaster and into the brick/blocks.

Sponsored Links
As J&K says push the plugs past the plasterwork. You want the plugs to hold in the brickwork not the plaster. That is the reason many people use 2 plugs with screws not really realising they only need to get a plug through the plaster and into the brick/blocks.
Best to use 2 plugs for heavier loads because overtime the screws can bend having no support between bricks and end of plaster.

I understand what are you are saying.. but for the OP- do not use one nylon plug and bury it deep in the hole. If you do, when you put the screw in, it will pull the solitary wall plug towards the thing that you are fitting, leaving you with a plug that is no longer in the brick work (i.e. now pulled forward in to the ((potentially)) 35mm old plaster.

As you suggest, I often go for the two plugs in one hole in Victorian homes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back