Advice on picking correct screw/wall plug for bookshelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've been googling but I seem to be getting more confused.

I am hanging 30cm x 120cm particleboard IKEA bookshelves with 3 brackets into brick masonry and I can't work out what size screws and wall plugs to use. Ideally they'll be bearing two layers of books so they'll need to be strong.

I have an impact drill and I've hung a couple using 40mm screws/plugs and they feel secure but now I'm worried the screws are too short?

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/bergshult-ramshult-wall-shelf-white-s99290623/

The brackets are 20mm thick and connect to the wall at two points:

• For the top connection, the screw and plug go directly into the wall and you let the head of the screw stick out a little. The bracket hangs upon it via a small recessed part of the bracket
  • For the bottom one a screw goes through the 20mm bracket and then into the wall

I hope that makes sense

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210310_161348 (wecompress.com).jpg
    IMG_20210310_161348 (wecompress.com).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Personally I’d go for 50mm screws, probably x 4.5 so the head fits into the keyhole slot.
If you are going direct into brick you’ll probably be fine with what you’ve done - the depth of any plaster can have an effect.
John :)

Personally I’d go for 50mm screws, probably x 4.5 so the head fits into the keyhole slot.
If you are going direct into brick you’ll probably be fine with what you’ve done - the depth of any plaster can have an effect.
Thanks for this. So if I go for a 4.5 or 5 gauge and 50mm in length then I should use a 5.5 masonry drill bit and yellow rawl plugs, is that right?

Sponsored Links
Use 8mm duopower fischer plugs with 50mmx5 screws and you can hang a lorry on the wall.
Remember to clean the hole properly before inserting the plugs.

For 8mm plugs, use a 8mm masonry drill, for 6mm plugs its a 6mm drill and so on.
Only my personal choice but its Fischer plugs for me and Spax screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back