RCBO's - has anyone actually damaged one by Meggering it at 500V ?

Don't you normally have to pull the fuse holder out thus disconnecting and isolating the fuse from the mains before removing.
Indeed - but that theoretically can 'go wrong' - so, if there is a switch, it makes sense for it to come before the fuse. Can you think of any advantage (or reason) for having the fuse before the switch (if there is one)?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have also heard of their FCUs going bang big time.

Me too. I was near one went it went bang - damn near sh@t mesen. Mind you, not as bad as an old Square D RCBO that I pushed the test button of: there was a massive explosion that blew the board to bits....

Think RF has also had issues with Powerbreaker FCU's going bang.

Yes I've had trouble with power breaker RCD FCUs
I have also heard of their FCUs going bang big time.

Me too. I was near one went it went bang - damn near sh@t mesen. Mind you, not as bad as an old Square D RCBO that I pushed the test button of: there was a massive explosion that blew the board to bits....

Think RF has also had issues with Powerbreaker FCU's going bang.

Yeah I've had trouble with both!
Maybe it's just me

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Those power breaker RCD spurs go bang if you wire the line and load back to front. I did that once, when I was a little apprentice. It was at the time when the harmonised cable colours had just become available.

An old circuit was to be connected to the RCD spur and fed from a new feed. Through force of habit (and not paying attention!) I connected red and black to the supply terminals and blue and brown to the load terminals. Power on, pushed reset button. Power was supplied to the load, great! Pushed the test button, the bang was so loud and there were blast marks all over the front of the spur. Oops. It did trip when the test button was pushed, so I guess that's something!

It's cheap far eastern made tat again - real British Made stuff will no be so badly built/designed, and will withstand things that readily destroy far eastern stuff!

Sponsored Links
It's cheap far eastern made tat again - real British Made stuff will no be so badly built/designed, and will withstand things that readily destroy far eastern stuff!
Which, if any, companies still manufacture electrical stuff in the UK?

Kind Regards, John

Which, if any, companies still manufacture electrical stuff in the UK?

Kind Regards, John
MK. At least the majority of their range anyway. Don't use their breakers, so they may well be from the far east.

Mk recently done a big advertising campaign to say made in uk, though up till then, stamped on most of it was "made in maylasia"
You would expect BG to be made here too

I think MK say engineered in the uk. All their accessories are now stamped as made in Malaysia. If you take a 1G switch purchased today and compare it with one from 10 years ago you can instantly see the difference in quality.

I can't find anything to say where BG is manufactured, but a page on their parent company nexus' website reveals a lot.

image.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back