Rccd tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, been to a job today and it was a funny one! The rccd was tripping! Found fault to be on down ring main! Unplugged everything and it stayed on! I then plugged in their 4 way surge protected extension bar and it tripped immediately! Nothing was plugged into the bar! So a faulty extension bar! Left the house and was stopped by a neigbour saying there power was tripping too! I went in and to cut a long story short found they had the same problem, a surge protected extension bar causing the rccd to trip! Never had this before? How do these surge protecters work and how would it cause the rccd to trip?

Sponsored Links
Sherman, could you replace your keyboard please?

Yours is generating exclamation marks instead of full stops.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply. I had a feeling that they had had a surge which caused then to fail but was wondering how these anit surge units were made and wat happened inside them to cause an earth fault.
I'm just curious.
And sorry for the exclamation marks I'm using my iPhone and its habbit.

These surge protectors actually are not often the cause of the problem, but contribute to it.

A fault on a non RCD protected way can manifest itself onto the RCD side of a board, via these surge protectors.

Can I ask - did you use an insulation tester at all in your fault finding?

A surge arrester has components which start to conduct once the voltage between phase and neutral, phase and earth or earth and neutral exceed a predetermined threshold. If they take a surge from say a lightening strike it may fry these components which could cause them to go low resistance or open circuit, in the case of low resistance with anything between a live (phase/neutral) conductor and earth will cause a fault and can cause an RCD to trip.
Surge arresters are a bit of a nuisance when PAT testing as they usually show up with a low IR fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back