RCD Again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've now bought a 63A RCD for the shower circuit, and have 2 spares on the cu.The size of the rcd takes two spaces but i've noticed it has a live and neutral terminal on the bottom where the live rail runs ? and also both these terminals on the top.How then is this unit connected up?

Your help will be much appreciated,

Cheers again!

Sponsored Links
You should have bought an RCBO.

Not all CU's can be turned into split loads with the addition of an RCD, and with out the knowledge, it is't a thing you should even try.

notsobritespark said:
I've now bought a 63A RCD for the shower circuit, and have 2 spares on the cu.The size of the rcd takes two spaces but i've noticed it has a live and neutral terminal on the bottom where the live rail runs ? and also both these terminals on the top.How then is this unit connected up?

Your help will be much appreciated,

Cheers again!
is it goin in a seperate CU to feed just the shower? if yes, then it should be pre-wired where all you do is connect incoming mains and outgoing to shower. if for existing CU, its not that easy to convert it to split load, and due to the fact you do not know what your doing, stay well away

EDIT: just re-read your provious thread. before you got the RCD you should have checked that the existing CU can be made into a split-load. you will need more parts than just the RCD to do this.

Sponsored Links
You've not bought the right thing.

PLAN C: Buy a small enclosure with space for the RCD, and an appropriate MCB for the existing CU.

Put the MCB in, take the cable (appropriately sized) from the CU to the RCD and then to the shower.

PLAN B: Get an electrician, as I fear your lack of knowledge about RCDs, MCBs, CU wiring etc might indicate lack of ability to do this safely, and you don't want to **** up with a shower circuit...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back