RCD as 'sole' provider of ADS in TN systems

Having just replied to this message at length, it's just occurred to me - why on earth are we talking about the Standards for RCBOs? This thread is about RCDs!!
But it's spun off from a thread about RCBOs.
It has indeed - but this thread is specifically about RCDs (the clue is in the title). Furthermore, if it were still about C2 RCBOs, it wouldn't be a 'spin-off' topic!
Maybe mfarrow is to blame.
He's certainly the one who posted lots of information about Standards for RCBOs and I (probably also still thinking of that other thread!) innocently responded to it at length!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
RCD is just a generic term, you can have electronic RCCBs and RCBOs as well as other devices.

RCD is just a generic term, you can have electronic RCCBs and RCBOs as well as other devices.
That's true - but, in context, I think it was pretty clear that we were not talking about RCBOs, wasn't it? Per the title, it's a generic discussion about whether or not reliance on RCDs for ADS in TN systems is compliant with regs, and most CUs don't have RCBOs, and certainly don't have banks of MCBs run off RCBOs!

Kind Regards, John

As I have said, you can have electronic RCCBs as well, usually they have a functional earth wire. I think MEM make them to name one brand.

So unless we take into account the different types of RCCB available out there it isn't possible to say.
If you have a normal RCCB which doesn't rely on the supply voltage to operate then yes, if the Zs is a tad too high but volt drop is OK then you may use an RCD to overcome this but not to overcome a dodgy connection etc.

Sponsored Links
As I have said, you can have electronic RCCBs as well, usually they have a functional earth wire. I think MEM make them to name one brand.
Yes, I know - if you recall I dissected a Protek one recently, and that certainly didn't have a functional earth wire. However, you're confusing me by saying 'as well' - until mfarrow introduced the RCBO Standards, we were discussing whether electronic RCDs (RCCBs) could fail to work if L-N pd fell too low. A functional earth, even if there were one, would not make any difference to that.
If you have a normal RCCB which doesn't rely on the supply voltage to operate then yes, if the Zs is a tad too high but volt drop is OK then you may use an RCD to overcome this but not to overcome a dodgy connection etc.
When you say 'normal', do you mean 'non-electronic'? If so, I'm no longer certain that they still exist - I asked in the recent thread if anyone had taken recent ones of reputable makes apart, but got not answers. What you say about compliance corersponds with the view I've expressed, but some people seem to disagree. In any event, the regs certainly don't distinguish between electronic and non-electronic RCDs, so whatever one believes the regs are saying, it would have to apply to both.

Kind Regards, John

Firstly BAS, stop encouraging him to be critical. No I didn't reference the RCBO standard to deceive, just that they're both very similar and I'm sure a majority of residual current measuring devices installed by electricians are now contained within RCBO units.

The functional descriptions of 4.1.2.2a (E1) and 4.1.2.2b (E3) appear to be identical,
Typo now corrected

Does the standard clarify what is meant by “Able to trip under hazardous circumstances (e.g. earth fault) arising due to failure of line voltage”. Is this perhaps merely a reference to the fact that (given a low enough Zs) the overcurrent part (which probably does not involve any electronics) (but not the ‘RCD part’) will operate in response to a L-E fault even if there is no supply voltage, or does it mean something different or more complicated than that. In particular, does anything in the Standard indicate whether the ‘RCD part’ of the devices concerned (E1 and E3) still works when there is no power?
The RCD descriptions are identical in both standards BS EN 61008-1 and BS EN 61009-1, so the only things which are dependant on voltage are the RCD elements. I can't imagine why the MCB elements would be dependant on voltage being present.

Again, after checking the wording is actually "on failure of line voltage" but it doesn't really make the statement any clearer, and I would imagine the former would cause the latter, but the statement implies otherwise, which is naturally a worst case insofar as the RCDs functionality but not one I've encountered.

Do I take it that (although this would make one of them redundant) “Provide service continuity” actually means the same as “Not opening automatically if line voltage lost”? If not, does the Standard indicates what it does mean?
It just has "Service Continuity" with Yes or No in the table, with a footnote of "This information is given for guidance only" and nothing in the definitions.

Given the fact that it has ‘no marking’ and a different section number, one suspects that 4.1.1 probably refers to ‘ordinary/common’ RCBOs but, ironically, few details about this one have been provided – is any more available?
That marking is, I quote:
...may be marked on the side or on the back of the device and be visible only before the device is installed. Alternatively ...may be on the inside of any cover which has to be removed in order to connect the supply wires.

Is there any explanation of the meaning of “Function independent on (s.i.c.) line voltage”, since this is really the issue we’ve been discussing. In particular, does it really mean that the ‘RCD functionality’ will still work even if the L-N pd seen by the RCD falls to zero or near zero?
Yes, in the definitions of both standards:
"RCCBs/RCBOs for which the functions of detection, evaluation and interruption do not depend on the line voltage"

Conversely (in case its one of those we’re interested in!) is there any further information about the meaning of “Function dependent on line voltage”. Does this simply mean that some of the functions (one might guess the ‘RCD’ ones) do not work in the absence of a supply, or does it indicate that function is dependent upon line voltage in some other, more complicated, fashion?
Yes, in the definitions of both standards:
"RCCBs/RCBOs for which the functions of detection, evaluation or interruption depend on the line voltage"

... No I didn't reference the RCBO standard to deceive, just that they're both very similar ...
I certainly didn't accuse you of attempting to 'deceive', and nor do I think anyone else did. I thought you'd probably made a mistake, aided by the fact that (as BAS said), this thread is a spin-off from one about RCBOs. ... The standards may be similar but, at least in the past, there has seemingly been a significant difference between the devices. Maybe it's down to lack of exposure/experience, but I've never seen or heard of an RCBO in which the residual currenmt part was not electronic, whereas, at least in the past (I'm not so sure any more) at least some RCDs did not use any electronics.
... and I'm sure a majority of residual current measuring devices installed by electricians are now contained within RCBO units.
I'm not sure I understand that, or its relevance.
The functional descriptions of 4.1.2.2a (E1) and 4.1.2.2b (E3) appear to be identical,
Typo now corrected
Thanks.
Does the standard clarify what is meant by “Able to trip under hazardous circumstances (e.g. earth fault) arising due to failure of line voltage”. Is this perhaps merely a reference to the fact that (given a low enough Zs) the overcurrent part (which probably does not involve any electronics) (but not the ‘RCD part’) will operate in response to a L-E fault even if there is no supply voltage, or does it mean something different or more complicated than that. In particular, does anything in the Standard indicate whether the ‘RCD part’ of the devices concerned (E1 and E3) still works when there is no power?
The RCD descriptions are identical in both standards BS EN 61008-1 and BS EN 61009-1, so the only things which are dependant on voltage are the RCD elements. I can't imagine why the MCB elements would be dependant on voltage being present.
Nor can I, and I wasn't suggesting that it would.
Again, after checking the wording is actually "on failure of line voltage" but it doesn't really make the statement any clearer, and I would imagine the former would cause the latter, but the statement implies otherwise, which is naturally a worst case insofar as the RCDs functionality but not one I've encountered.
Quite. The statement is so confused/confusing that I think we simply have to ignore it for the time being! As you say, what on earth could be meant by "earth fault arising due to [or on] failure of line voltage"?!! My question therefore must essentially remain unanswered.
Do I take it that (although this would make one of them redundant) “Provide service continuity” actually means the same as “Not opening automatically if line voltage lost”? If not, does the Standard indicates what it does mean?
It just has "Service Continuity" with Yes or No in the table, with a footnote of "This information is given for guidance only" and nothing in the definitions.
The more one hears about this document, the worse it gets!
Given the fact that it has ‘no marking’ and a different section number, one suspects that 4.1.1 probably refers to ‘ordinary/common’ RCBOs but, ironically, few details about this one have been provided – is any more available?
That marking is, I quote: .....
I wasn't asking for more details of the marking :) I was noting that there is far less functional information about this class of device than about the other three, and therefore wondered if anymore (functional) details were available.
Is there any explanation of the meaning of “Function independent on (s.i.c.) line voltage”, since this is really the issue we’ve been discussing. In particular, does it really mean that the ‘RCD functionality’ will still work even if the L-N pd seen by the RCD falls to zero or near zero?
Yes, in the definitions of both standards: "RCCBs/RCBOs for which the functions of detection, evaluation and interruption do not depend on the line voltage"
That seems essentially to be 'defining' the phrase by paraphrasing it :) I suppose your answer is bound to be 'yes', but what I was asking is whether 'not dependent on line voltage' really does mean that it still works if line voltage falls to zero. If so, I still don't understand how it can work if the device has and electronic+solenoid mechanism of operation.

In any event, as my subsequent post said, after further consideration, I've come to the conclusion that we're probably discussing a non-problem. The L-N voltage seen by the device could only fall to near zero in the case of an L-CPC fault very close to the RCD in a TN-C-S system, in which case an OPD (even if the cutout fuse) would virtually always operate. In all other situations, plenty of voltage would remain across the RCD for the electronics etc. to work.

Kind Regards, John

Electronics in an RCD could be supplied by a large capacitor for some time after loss of supply voltage. But how long would it keep the RCD functional ? If it is loss of the live of the supply then the RCD is ( probably ) redundant as there is no 230 volt to provide shock if someone touches a live part.

But when only the neutral is lost, ( loose terminal or network fault ) the RCD is still needed to cut the Live if there is a leak to earth.

Talking to "an old hand" he agrees with me. A purely mechanical trip mechanism is better. The electronic ones are cheaper to make and the risk assessments claim the risk of electronics failing to trip the switch is low enough to be acceptable.

That said any RCD is better than no RCD ( excluding cheap imports from dubious sources that may never work )

This is a 20 minute "" guided tour "" of the inside of an RCD with no electronics ( other than the test resistor )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECz503tna6s
Or a quick view http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR5D8IDkyUU
The PCB is used to connect the fine wires from the toriod's output winding to the soleniod in the white case. Again no electronics.
Thanks. Yes, I've seen inside many an RCD like that in my time, but I probably haven't seen inside one that was manufactured in the last several years - hence my uncertainties as to whether non-electronic ones have been manufactured in recent times. The ones in the videos look fairly 'young', but one can't be sure. I didn't notice a manufacturing date in any of the pictures, did you? Conversely, as you know, I recently saw inside a Protek one which had been in service for around 9 years, which was electronically operated.

Kind Regards, John

Electronics in an RCD could be supplied by a large capacitor for some time after loss of supply voltage. But how long would it keep the RCD functional ?
Indeed, I've already made that observation. However, even if the power to the electronics is maintained for a while by a capacitor for long enough for the SCR to be triggered, it still won't work in the absence of at least some AC supply, since there will be nothing to power the solenoid.
If it is loss of the live of the supply then the RCD is ( probably ) redundant as there is no 230 volt to provide shock if someone touches a live part.
True, but it's not actually 'loss' of supply, in that sense, that this (and similar) discussions is about - it's about reduction to near zero of the L-N pd across the RCD terminals due to and L-E or L-CPC fault within the installation. As I've observed, I think this is only a possibility with a fault extremely close to to the RCD with a TN-C-S supply.
But when only the neutral is lost, ( loose terminal or network fault ) the RCD is still needed to cut the Live if there is a leak to earth.
Again, we're not really talking about that sort of 'loss'. You're obviously right about that theoretical hazard, but the chances of a leak to earth occurring in the installation at the same time as there is a total loss of neutral must be incredibly small. Anything short of total loss would probably leave enough power for the RCD electronics/solenoid to work.
Talking to "an old hand" he agrees with me. A purely mechanical trip mechanism is better. The electronic ones are cheaper to make and the risk assessments claim the risk of electronics failing to trip the switch is low enough to be acceptable.
We discussed this at length in the past. Without up-to-date knowledge, we can't be sure that all modern expensive ones are non-electronic. As I've said, I believe that an electronically-triggered one has the potential to have much better long-term reliability, particularly as regards maintenance of trigger current. The fact that, as you say, it's probably possible to make electronic ones more cheaply (because 'precision' in the mechanics is not required) does not mean that ones with good quality mechanics cannot be electronically activated - which might well be the best of both worlds (and might well be what some expensive ones are now doing).

Kind Regards, John

it's not actually 'loss' of supply, in that sense, that this (and similar) discussions is about - it's about reduction to near zero of the L-N pd across the RCD terminals due to and L-E or L-CPC fault within the installation. As I've observed, I think this is only a possibility with a fault extremely close to to the RCD with a TN-C-S supply.
Just to throw another clarification/spanner in the works, a footnote to the definition of "function independant of line voltage" in the standards says:

NOTE These devices are defined in 2.3.2 of IEC 60755 as residual current devices without auxiliary source.

the chances of a leak to earth occurring in the installation at the same time as there is a total loss of neutral must be incredibly small.
I think the biggest risk here is loss of neutral followed by prying by the curious and untrained.

So does that mean the manufactuers of mechanical mechanisms will over-engineer their devices, or do you think they manufacture to the required specification to meet the standard only, as per the electronic ones?

If you couldn't achieve satisfactory earth fault disconnection in a TN system without an RCD then I would be worried about the device providing satisfactory short-circuit protection as well !!!

If you couldn't achieve satisfactory earth fault disconnection in a TN system without an RCD then I would be worried about the device providing satisfactory short-circuit protection as well !!!
Quite so. In fact, with TN-C-S, there is virtually no difference - none at all in the network and esentially only the difference between R2 and Rn within the installation. Particularly with TN-S, I suppose that it's theoretically possible that the Zs would be such that the OPD would be just about good enough to provide short-circuit protection but not quite good enough for (earth) fault protection, but that's not going to happen very often.

Kind Regards, John

it's not actually 'loss' of supply, in that sense, that this (and similar) discussions is about - it's about reduction to near zero of the L-N pd across the RCD terminals due to and L-E or L-CPC fault within the installation. As I've observed, I think this is only a possibility with a fault extremely close to to the RCD with a TN-C-S supply.
Just to throw another clarification/spanner in the works, a footnote to the definition of "function independant of line voltage" in the standards says:
NOTE These devices are defined in 2.3.2 of IEC 60755 as residual current devices without auxiliary source.
I think that probably qualifies as a spanner, rather than a clarification, doesn't it. Although it is not totally clear (at least, not to me) as to what it means, it sounds rather like the opposite of what one would expect. One (at least, I) might have thought that an 'auxillary (presumably power) source' would tend to render the device independent of the voltage of the 'primary source'.
the chances of a leak to earth occurring in the installation at the same time as there is a total loss of neutral must be incredibly small.
I think the biggest risk here is loss of neutral followed by prying by the curious and untrained.
Indeed. In realistic terms, it's probably effectively the only risk - for the neutral to be lost and someone to be prying as co-incidenally simultaneous and independent events would surely be 'vanishingly improbable'! However, if the entire installation went dead because of a totally lost neutral, they might well be prying in the CU, where there is scope for them to be prying on the supply side of an RCD - in which case it's presence would be unable to 'protect' them, even if it was able to work!
So does that mean the manufactuers of mechanical mechanisms will over-engineer their devices, or do you think they manufacture to the required specification to meet the standard only, as per the electronic ones?
I think Bernard's point is that non-electronic ones necessarily have to have 'precision mechanics' in order to get the correct trip functionality. However, as I've said to him, there is no reason why having good quality ('expensive') mechanics precludes an electronically-triggered mechanism - which I am inclined to view as the best of both worlds. To essentially be relying on a spring (no matter how 'high precision') to maintain a constant trip current over a period of possibly very many years does not instil me with confidence. However, electronics will nearly always maintain a consistent trip threshold 'for ever', and the solenoid can be 'over-engineered' to the extent that it's almost bound to result in the mechanism tripping once the electronics tell it to, even if those mechanics have got 'a bit sticky' over the years.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back