RCD bathroom

D

DoItWell

I believe in the new regs, if an RCD, like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...FI?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=14770&x=0&y=0#
is fitted outside of a bathroom, no bonding is required if the RCD does the lights and fan. Is that so? If so, can one do two bathrooms?
Further points:

1. does everything electrical inside the bathroom have to be off the RCD, like the shaving socket?

2. Does a fan isolation switch still need to be fitted?

THe electrical parts in the bathroom are:

shower light
main light
shaver with transformer inside.
wall fan

I don't want bonding and all is easy to put on an RCD, except the shaver.

thx

Sponsored Links
Is the shaver on a different circuit to the rest? First go and look at the main protective bonding connected to your consumer unit or Main Earth Terminal(THESE ARE CONNECTED TO YOUR GAS AND WATER INCOMMERS). Is it up to scratch i.e. 10mm2? If yes you can RCD protect ALL circuits in the bathroom.

Is your consumer unit suitable for RCBO's? If yes use one then the whole circuit is protected. Can't see any reason not to use the FCU you have displayed although the fuse size maybe an issue and the ease of installing it in a suitable position. I believe the fan should have an isolator, and probably fused down from the lighting circuit........although I've never seen a separate fuse for a fan(usually straight off the lights).

Thanks,

Yes, a rcbo at the cu looks a good option. It is a HAGER cu, any idea if rcbo's are available for this?. One Q is, Does a shaver with transformer need to be on a RCD?

If you put a Hager 6A RCBO into your CU you will of course be replacing your existing MCB for your upstairs lighting circuit which will include the bathroom light. (Assuming of course that your bathroom is upstairs).
As the fan and shaver is normally taken off the lighting circuit, these then also become RCD protected. HTH. However your fan is still protected by a 3-pole switch if it is timed, or a 3A FCU. This is so you you can switch off the supply in the event of doing any maintenance work on the fan.

Sponsored Links
Will a Hager 6A RCBO replace any Hager mcb? Are they all the same format for changing?

Thank You

I expect to be contradicted by the experts on this, but based on very limited, and totally amateur experience, I would be very reluctant to "lump together" lighting and other circuits into an RCD protected circuit, as would presumably be the case if you put the RCD protection as an RCBO in the CU on a lighting circuit.

Just remember that when the fan trips the RCD, the lights go out if you have the fan on same RCD protected circuit!

I often wonder what the comparative risks are between electrocution from a non-RCD protected device, and falling downstairs in the dark when the RCD trips ... and just remember that someone has possibly emerged dripping wet out of the shower to go into the pitch black garage to reset the RCBO.

So...always take a torch with you when you have a shower after dark.:)

Ok, I'm retiring to my bunker for the anticipated storm of criticism from the pros.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back