RCD req for bathroom lights, fan and shaver?

That's a far more valid reason - so the lights on to work on the fan is irrelevant.
I have alway assumed that the function of the fan isolator on a timer or humidistat fan was to ensure the disconnection of the permanent live and SL and N to enable safe maintenance, and cleaning without loosing fingers !
Obviously, if the fan is fed from the light and has no timer ,the user knows when the fan is isolated.

DS

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have alway assumed that the function of the fan isolator on a timer or humidistat fan was to ensure the disconnection of the permanent live and SL and N to enable safe maintenance, and cleaning without loosing fingers !
Well, yes, but one can ensure the same at least (some would say more) effectively by de-energising the entire circuit. I cannot help but wonder about these people who go on about having to 'work on a fan' without the lights in the room working - what, I wonder, do they do (or say!) when 'working on' the lights/switches etc. themselves??

Kind Regards, John

I expect someone once said to an apprentice "Fit an isolator for the fan so that if it develops a fault, it can be switched off and the lights will still work" - meaning until repaired; not while being repaired.

Apprentice never forgot and then went on to write a guide stating the wrong reason. Folk-lore is born.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back